Old 24-12-2009, 10:00 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Heres what just shy of 20 hours data looks like (when processed by someone who's colour blind) on M8...

11.5hrs of Ha captured over 3 nights in rather typical, atrocious brisbane seeing, 8.5hrs OSC captured over 3 nights from Barambah dark sky camp, Good seeing on the first and third night, some moderate high level whispy cloud and smoke in the sky on the second night.. So, seeing is not all that brilliant for the whole lot... but the data looks good to me... OSC data was all done with 10min subs, Ha data was all done with 30min subs..

at full res the image is silky smooth.. even in the very faint wispy bits of nebulosity that most images do not display... Sometimes mega data makes the difference despite seeing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M8_hahaRGB_Complete-20hrs.jpg)
196.4 KB70 views
Old 26-12-2009, 12:31 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Very nice image Alex but can you post another version with 3 hrs worth of data with the same processing steps so we can make a comparison? You see my argument is not that longer exposure doesn't improve an image but rather the improvement is not really worth the extra effort. I guess it all depends on what your intended audience is. My pics are for my enjoyment and the occassional teaching aid. Not really interested in all the marlin award stuff.

Mark
Old 26-12-2009, 01:03 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I'd have to redo it it with 3hrs data... Come to think of it...I don't particularly remember the exact processing I did on that shot... Come to think of it again.... I don't think I have the raw data anymore which makes my point of view seem rather pointless now that i mention it.. haha ... Yeah, true, if you're imaging for personal enjoyment then yes, 3 hours on 80% of targets would be more than enough.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:03 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quite reasonable prices on astronomik 2" mounted narrowband filters at OPT Robin. Fit very nicely into the filter wheel as well.

Mark
Old 28-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Gama

Sad thing is i love Galaxies. The use of any filter reduces the light of gold reaching my camera.
Im not to keen on nebulas, i dont know why, i suppose because its an easy object to find. I love the tiny wisps of spiral arms on my images, and the further away it is the more eager i am to look for more to do.
I also do supernova work, and always keep an eye out for them. On one occasion, i missed out by a few days. Oh well, maybe next time.

Theo.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:54 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Theo - I am the opposite, I like galaxies, but I'm more inclined to shoot nebulae.. I think it has to do with the optics involved though... If I was shooting through a 20" CDK I'd probably love galaxies more too, however I shoot nebulae through my 80mm APO as with the wider field of view you can really chase down the outer reaches of nebulae, see wide, expansive fields of hydrogen and oxygen being excited by star light..

Shooting distant galaxies is also much harder as you say, because getting sufficient photons onto the sensor can be extremely difficult... Horses for courses!
Old 29-12-2009, 01:01 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Ordered the QHY9 today, should have it in my hands in a couple of weeks
Old 29-12-2009, 02:08 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

WOOOHOOO!!

Cant wait to see what you can do with it Martin.