Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Which usb camera

I would like to know which ccd camera I could use for autoguiding. I do not require a high end model but a general puropse one that can do the job. There are too many out there. I have a 8" f/6 newtonian and will use the ccd camera on a 80mm f/5 refractor. Software will be either PHD or guidedog.

Are the meade lpi or nexstar good enough for the job.

Regards
Kon
Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I use one of these
http://web.aanet.com.au/gama/qhy%20cmos%20prices.html
Dedicated guide camera and probably more sensitive than the 2 you suggested.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I've been advised (but have not done it myself, so dont take my word for it) that my SPC900NC will do nicely as a guide cam... That might be a cheaper option, however the Q Guider is made for the task.. unless you already have a toucam, I think it would be prudent to go with the camera made for the job.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
I've been advised (but have not done it myself, so dont take my word for it) that my SPC900NC will do nicely as a guide cam... That might be a cheaper option, however the Q Guider is made for the task.. unless you already have a toucam, I think it would be prudent to go with the camera made for the job.
I'm using the Phillips SPC900nc webcam and it does the job, though limits you to brighter guide stars compared with a dedicated guider. The Nexstar uses the same chip and should do equally well. cheers, Rob
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

Thanks guys,

one other question, I am going to order the orion guide rings like the one from bintel but how do you attach them to your mount or telescope. I have seen the dual mount bar where both telescopes are parallel to each other but seperate. Is there a attachment that fits under the main rings or do you drill the main scopes rings. Pictures would help.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

If you get the guide rings from bintel they will likely come with plastic screws of adjustment. I found that they were not strong enough to hold a guidescope rigid enough, replace them with metal screws and get some plastic caps to to over the then.

Do you have holes in the top of the rings for your newt? If so you could get a piece of 3 or 4mm (40mm wide) Aluminium bar and attach it to the newt rings and then drill a couple of holes in the bar to mount your guiderings to. At the bottom of the guiderings is a flattened area with a 1/4" (?) hole through. Not a bit job to fit it. Just make sure it is very secure so you don't get flexure.

Btw if you have the extra reddies then you may want to consider a DMK21 for combo guide camera, planetary camera and DSO camera. The Orion filter wheel will work well with this (with an adapter) or you could try one of the ATiK 16IC (I have one and it's a fantastic little camera). Not a real shake for planetary but a great little camera for autoguiding and DSO. http://www.astrovid.com/prod_details.php?pid=3246
Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Thanls Paul,

what about if I get a bar and drill holes and put it where the newt ring screws clamp together. I could put the 2 screws through the holes and when I tighten the main rings it would clamp down on the bar or is that area a bit weak to hold then weight.
Regards
Kon
Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Kon

I use my DMK21AU04 as a guide camera and it's more sensitive than the ToUcam. As an added bonus it's a great planetary camera too
Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

I'm not sure Kon. Can you post a picture of the type of rings you have atm for your newt.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
kon1966 (Kon)

If you go to the bitel website and find the bintel tube rings, they are like that. You unscrew the knob and push sideways to unlock.

I was thinking of getting a aluminium piece, drilling holes and since the knob uncrews off, putting the aluminium piece on and then screwing down so the guids scope os on the side.. But I think it will not hold it secure enough.

Maybee I should drill the rings at the top through the rings and mounting that way.

Regards
Kon
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I drilled out the camera screw threads on the top of my main rings and bolted the guide rings directly. Works for me.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Thanks Tandum, that's what i was trying to describe, only I didn't drill out the camera screw threads, I just used the correct size screw and put an aluminium bar on the top with a washer and nut to hold it firmly. Never had a problem with it.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:24 AM
kon1966 (Kon)

Thanks guys, I will mount on top.

Regards
Kon