Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 29-06-2019, 01:27 PM
gregbradley

best eyepiece for 105mm f6 APO

I am receiving a high end 105mm F6 APO soon and would like to have a couple of nice eyepieces for it.

I have an excellent 12mm super wide eyepiece from previous times of having many eyepieces. So 12mm is covered.

Otherwise apart from some Plossls I don't have anything special.

In the past 19mm Panoptics got a lot of use and a 22mm T4 Nagler was pretty special if a little large and heavy.

I also had a 13mm Ethos lens and it was good as well.

What would you recommend for widefield vistas? I am a bit out of touch when it comes to eyepieces.

Greg.
Old 29-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

A 24mm Panoptic will work well. I have a Vixen 102mm ED working at F6.5 and an Orion 80 mm F6 Triplet. The Panoptic gives fanastic views if away from city lights.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I’m listening

Only have 3.5mm Delos and 25mm plossl and a Barlow, and wouldn’t mind to expand options a bit. I think Delites could provide neat lightweight options with a reasonable wide field.
Old 29-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

What "high end" apo
Old 29-06-2019, 06:58 PM
N1 (Mirko)

I'll second the Panop 24. Or its ES68° cousin, unless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
What "high end" apo
it's a Traveller. That will beg to be paired with TV

Also something in the 11-13mm range should work well.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:36 PM
astro744

The Tele Vue 24mm Panoptic is nice but only 1.25". If you want to maximise your widefield vistas you need to go 2" which your 'scope will handle. For maximum true field at 68 deg. apparent field the 41mm Panoptic performs very well under dark skies giving you 4.3 deg. The 7mm exit pupil is not an issue with a refractor and will give bright images but off course a smaller exit pupil will give a darker sky background in the city.

For slightly less true field but wider apparent field of 82 deg. the 31mm Nagler would be my preference for this telescope however it is larger and heavier than the 22mm Nagler. You could also choose from 35mm Panoptic or 27mm Panoptic both of which are 2" than their respective Nagler counterparts but you will be giving up true field.
Old 30-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I’m listening

Only have 3.5mm Delos and 25mm plossl and a Barlow, and wouldn’t mind to expand options a bit. I think Delites could provide neat lightweight options with a reasonable wide field.
I have the 5,7 & 15mm Delites. I like all three.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I am receiving a high end 105mm F6 APO soon and would like to have a couple of nice eyepieces for it.

What would you recommend for widefield vistas? I am a bit out of touch when it comes to eyepieces.
Nothing much has changed in recent years.

Pentax XW 30mm or 40mm work well in refractors. If you can find one. About half the weight of the TV equivalent.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:30 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I suggest a 31mm Nagler for wide field views and will be well corrected at F6
Old 01-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Wilso

It’s always a compromise when selecting eyepieces, whether it’s weight, size, cost, eye relief etc....
For me it was the weight of the 31 hand grenade, just found I wasn’t using it as much as the 22 nagler so it had to go. Haven’t replaced it as yet.
One I’m considering that’s relatively new on the scene is the APM uff 30mm, I’ve read some good reviews on it. It’s only 70deg though, weight and price isn’t over the top either. Just thought I’d throw this one in the mix for ya.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
It’s always a compromise when selecting eyepieces, whether it’s weight, size, cost, eye relief etc....
For me it was the weight of the 31 hand grenade, just found I wasn’t using it as much as the 22 nagler so it had to go. Haven’t replaced it as yet.
One I’m considering that’s relatively new on the scene is the APM uff 30mm, I’ve read some good reviews on it. It’s only 70deg though, weight and price isn’t over the top either. Just thought I’d throw this one in the mix for ya.

I had several high end eyepieces when I had a Tak FS152 and I think it was a 22 T4 that was the most spectacular. The most used though was a 19mm Panoptic which seem a do all type lens. But for a widefield scope I wonder if needs a wider more immersive view.

Some good suggestions here. The Pentx XW lenses sound interesting.Weight may factor into it so would cost.

The Pentax lenses always seem to review well. But I have never used one.

Greg.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

The 22 T4 Nagler is an excellent eyepiece that's for sure and the 31mm T5 is an enigma in itself in wide field viewing even with the weight thing that seems to put people off having this ep in the arsenal which is a shame because for the minor inconvenience it causes it is well worth the hassle , How i get around it is i put a Velcro ankle weight around the front of the scope near the rings and problem solved and will make any other combination of ep's used problem free, TBH both are a must have and i have both but the question is one widefield ep and for that the 31mm T5 is near impossible to beat.....
Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

you still haven't said what scope you are getting
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 PM
beren

I can't help myself when it comes to eyepieces, I'm a hoarder with multiple eyepieces same FL I love my Nagler's, the 82" apparent FOV suits my taste for that immersive feel {Ethos little too wide for me}. Looks like you have the plum 12mm,2mm exit pupil, slot covered for the new CFF {guessing that's the scope}. For me I'm not sure I would want to go more then 20-24mm with that FL and aperture , then you have to decide whether you want the extra weight with the a 2 inch eyepiece or with 1.25 {what diagonal type/size do you own ?}. I have the 22m nagler and 24pan, the pan is a workhorse but I would take the 22m nagler despite its weight. Unfortunately I haven't used a Pentax XW, maybe the 20XW is worth considering at that FL range {there was one in the classifieds but it looks like it has sold .......}. Id go for the 22mm Nagler, your 12mm eyepiece and 7mm nagler/ Pentax 7mm XW/6mm delos or maybe the 6mm Ethos if you like that wider vista........if three eyepieces I would add either a 16mm nagler or Nikon NAV-17HW {-pricey}
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

I have an excellent 12mm super wide eyepiece from previous times of having many eyepieces. So 12mm is covered.

Otherwise apart from some Plossls I don't have anything special.

In the past 19mm Panoptics got a lot of use and a 22mm T4 Nagler was pretty special if a little large and heavy.

I also had a 13mm Ethos lens and it was good as well.

Greg.
Hi Greg,
I have a full set of Pentax XW eyepieces, a Vixen 42mm and my favourite, the Baader Hyperion 31mm (which is both a 2" and a !.25"). The Baader on my WO f6.9 GT 102 APO refractor, is a match made in heaven; I have had many friends comment on the crisp, contrasty and dazzling images this combo produces. (Eta Carinae is breathtaking) I recommend you give it some consideration; the Pentaxes are excellent, but this Baader beats them all! (Better image quality than anything I have seen in much larger scopes, including big SCTs. Refractors rule....and widefield vistas.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers,
Richard
Old 04-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
I'll second the Panop 24. Or its ES68° cousin, unless...

it's a Traveller. That will beg to be paired with TV
It's not a Traveller
Old 05-07-2019, 05:07 PM
gregbradley

Some helpful replies here.
Thanks to all who answered.
Greg