Old 18-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Carl

guide scope options

Ok this is involved but her goes.
I've been imaging for about 3 years. I guide with an illuminated reticle thru my C8 and image thru my 80ed mounted on top. All this on a crappy basic Celestron Cg5.
I now have bought a you beaut Skywatcher eq6 pro and orion starshoot. I dont want to dismount my set everytime i want to image thru different scopes. Is it possible to guide thru my C8 finderscope (modified) and image thru either scope without danger of flexure.

Carl
Old 19-10-2010, 04:40 PM
mch62 (Mark)

Just make sure your guide /finder scope is well mounted.I used the 65mm Stellavue twin finder rings which hold the finder a lot better than the single o ring style. Works a treat even imaging through the 8" f10 EDGE and PHD.
I have since used a losmandy clamp plate directly onto the orange dove tail so it is easier to remove for transport.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2010_06_05_0738.JPG)
114.0 KB59 views
Old 19-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Carl

Guidesope

Hi Mark
Many thanks. What type of finderscpoe are you using in the image you posted?
Old 20-10-2010, 04:27 AM
gbeal

Carl,
I basically do what Mark does, except of to the side. Radial balance is accomplished by rotating the OTA in the tube rings, or having the OTA finder-scope off to the other side. My guider is an old 50mm finder as well.
Gary
Old 20-10-2010, 08:40 AM
mch62 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Hi Mark
Many thanks. What type of finderscpoe are you using in the image you posted?
Carl just a standard 9x50mm from Andrews. They have a 200mm fl F4 and with the Qhy5 I have no problems finding a guide star. I used the inner tube from a variable projection eyepiece adapter which had the right treads for the camera and with a little persuasion it will press fit up inside the finder ota body. -you just need about 25-30mm of the projection adapter and press it in with either a press or a vice will do as well. The trick is not to press it in to far so set the front focus at about half way with the lens screw adjustment and then by trial and error and some basic measurements press the sawn off projection adapter in until you reach focus in the camera. Fine focus is then made as usual with the finder front adjustment.
The best thing is once you get focus thats it you never need to change it.
Mark

p.s. I mounted mine under to keep weight as low as possible to the fulcrum--pivot point as when traveling I use an Eq5pro and needed to keep weight low with the C8 edge also I need some weight up front to balace the tube as there rear heavy.
Old 20-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Carl

Finderscope modifications

Thanks Mark. Do you know of any sites that show how to modify a finderscope? I am a pathetic hanyman at best

Regards
Carl
Old 21-10-2010, 05:25 AM
gbeal

Locate another forum member, Brendan (bmitchell???) as he is someone who was doing this sort of modification. Great guy and handy to have someone in the forum that can/will do this sort of work.
Gary
Old 21-10-2010, 10:38 AM
mch62 (Mark)

The only tools required when i did mine was a hacksaw and a vice. Ihad an old projection eyepiece adapter that got sacrifised for the project but if you have to buy a finder plus an adapter your most probably better off just getting a Stellavue 50mm finder as they are setup to use removable eyepieces ect just like a main scope.There is an adapter available to use the finder as a guide scope as well.
http://www.stellarvue.com/f50.html
Mark
Old 21-10-2010, 11:25 AM
telemarker (Keith)

Marc (Multiweb) modified a GSO finder to use as a guider. See here
Old 23-10-2010, 11:45 AM
MattH (Matt)

Hi Carl,

I have just posted some information about my new guide scope. Please, see http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=64805

Regards,
Mat