Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Nathan25

Piggy-Back Photography Questions

Just getting my head around different astrophotography techniques on the eve of getting my first DSLR and was wondering whether anyone could chip in some advice:

- If i'm piggy-backing the DSLR on my 8" SCT, is the most effective technique to use the 8" as a guidescope?

- Any hints on where i can get a serial interface cable, so i the DSLR can work with DSLRfocus?

-With processing, is it worth forking out the bucks for PhotoShop or will something like AIP4win suffice?

Many thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:23 PM
leon

Not sure about the cable, Nathan, but stay away from API4Win, i have it, and it is crap, Photo Shop is great as a post processing tool, but quite expensive, however Image Plus is great and reasonably cheap.

I'm sure there are others as well and the good folk here will lead you in the right direction, I use Image Plus all the time with good results, once you get the nack of it

Leon
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan25 View Post
If i'm piggy-backing the DSLR on my 8" SCT, is the most effective technique to use the 8" as a guidescope?
Yes, definitely. Mount the camera using a medium duty ball-joint tripod head. These cost about $79 from camera stores. Don't get a flimsy one less than $50ish. Maybe get a $120 one if you're going to use big lenses. By using a ball-joint tripod head you can easily position the telescope on a guide star and then easily point the camera at whatever object nearby.

Quote:
Any hints on where i can get a serial interface cable, so i the DSLR can work with DSLRfocus?
http://www.hapg.org/astrocables.htm

Quote:
With processing, is it worth forking out the bucks for PhotoShop or will something like AIP4win suffice?
PhotoShop is good, but you can do a lot without it. See how you go with what programs like Deep Sky Stacker and RegiStax can do before you bother spending the money.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 AM
citivolus (Ric)
Refracted

Another vote for ImagesPlus. I can't imagine trying to calibrate images in Photo Shop.
Old 15-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
Another vote for ImagesPlus. I can't imagine trying to calibrate images in Photo Shop.
Both are better. Calibrate in IP and finish in PS. If you (or your spouse) are in the education sector, you can get an academic edition of PS for much less than the full price and it is no different.
Geoff
Old 17-11-2007, 03:50 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Photo Impact is a good alternative at a much cheaper (like 10%) price. from version 11 onwards it has had raw file support.

Serial cable, you will probaly buy the usb cable to go with the camera, assuming it didn;t come with one, then get a good usb to serial adapter.

Roger