Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-02-2016, 04:39 PM
g3n1u5 (Tony)

Strange light near moon 15:00 13/2/2016 Aust

Hi,

Around 4 pm AEST, while looking up at the moon form Sydney Australia, a group of us say a bight star for what was about 5 to 10 minutes. It did not move, and was not the ISS, etc it held position the whole time. The object was a good 3 to 4 inches across the sky, towards the ene.

I am seeking any explanations, as this occurred in full daylight, at effectively 3.00pm normal time.

Regards
Tony
Old 15-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I had a similar experience many years ago. In my case, my best guess is that it was a weather balloon. (reflecting the afternoon Sun)
Old 15-02-2016, 07:28 PM
billdan (Bill)

Could be the sun lighting up an aeroplane flying towards you, hence it looks like it doesn't move.

Bill
Old 15-02-2016, 11:06 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I think I saw something like it too, naked eye from Aslings Beach at Eden NSW. I didn't have my watch but I thought it would have been around 430pm but this afternoon not last saturday. Approx PA 180 or 12 o'clock wrt the horizon. I watched it for several minutes, then dismissed it, thought it was my eyes. I have some astigmatism but my distance sight is ok in daylight.

Sorry, no explanation.

Joe
Old 15-02-2016, 11:26 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3n1u5 View Post
Hi,

Around 4 pm AEST, while looking up at the moon form Sydney Australia, a group of us say a bight star for what was about 5 to 10 minutes. It did not move, and was not the ISS, etc it held position the whole time. The object was a good 3 to 4 inches across the sky, towards the ene.

I am seeking any explanations, as this occurred in full daylight, at effectively 3.00pm normal time.

Regards
Tony
Hi Tony.

You could report this to Sydney Observatory-They are very helpful and seem to like a chat.

They may just be able to tell you what it might have been -Who knows?

bigjoe
Old 18-02-2016, 08:13 AM
g3n1u5 (Tony)

Thanks

Good Morning,

Thanks for the replys, i ended up trying the sydney observetory, and they didnt know, there wass no star / super nova in that area at that time, that could be seen from earth in day light. The object did not move relative to the moon for between 5 to 10 minutes, so an aircraft is out, plus, there it was above the highest clouds on that day.

A weather balloon maybe, but i would have expected movement in some lateral direction. Perhaps at that distance, the movement was undetectable.

Regards
Tony
Old 18-02-2016, 08:21 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3n1u5 View Post
Good Morning,

Thanks for the replys, i ended up trying the sydney observetory, and they didnt know, there wass no star / super nova in that area at that time, that could be seen from earth in day light. The object did not move relative to the moon for between 5 to 10 minutes, so an aircraft is out, plus, there it was above the highest clouds on that day.

A weather balloon maybe, but i would have expected movement in some lateral direction. Perhaps at that distance, the movement was undetectable.

Regards
Tony
I have tried to understand your post,but a lot of it just doesn't make sense.
If it took up three or four inches of the sky it would be absolutely huge,and I am sure that many hundreds to thousands of people would have seen it also.
I took a piece of paper 3" long and held it at arms length, I estimate it would cover at least 6 degrees or more of the sky,that would be 12 times the size of the Sun or Moon.

You have not said whether it was Round, long oblong or in fact any shape at all?
Also you have not said how bright it was IE Brighter than the Sun? Moon ?
You also have not said what happened to it after the 5-10 minutes it was visible.
Your time is at the best very vague.
You didn't think to even have a look at your watch to get the time even though it hung around for quite a fair while.?
At that time of the day the Moon was about 30° in altitude, how big was it compared to the Moon?
How many of your friends also saw it?
I would be interested for you to come back to me on the points I raised, then I may have some idea as to what exactly you saw
This is not to pull you down, this is to get some Idea as to what you really saw.
Just a point of interest supernova just don't hang around for 5-10 minutes, and if there was one that big then I guess our goose would be really cooked.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 19-02-2016 at 10:50 PM.