Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 AM
brisen (Brian)

Increasing the size of a taregt in Pixinsight processing

I have been collecting some data on NGC5189 and intend processing in PI. NGC5189 is tiny and I would like to dramatically increase the size of the target in the processing if I can to allow for the detail in the PN to be seen.

I have attached a copy of one of the lum files with the target centred but it is tiny in size. I am wondering if there is a way to increase the size when processing the stacked image in PI.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lum jpeg.pdf (442.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

It's a very small object so there are limits to what you can do with a ground-based imaging system limited by seeing. Drizzle integration in PixInsight will let you upsample to higher resolution. That's worth a try but will only give you an improvement in image detail if the seeing, guiding, optics, etc. were good enough to support the smaller image scale.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM
brisen (Brian)

Thanks Rick. I will give that a try when I process the data.

Brian
Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

It's pretty easy to try, Brian. I'd be interested to hear how you go and also happy to help if you have any problems. I use Drizzle a lot, especially with data I get from SRO in California where the seeing is often excellent.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 16-06-2016, 01:27 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I've had success with just scaling the image in PI to something larger and then being able to see the bad artifacts easier as i push the processing then a final step to rescale down to original size and i get more contrast and detail this way. do all this at a 64bit depth if possible to give you room to play with pushing the signal. I'm sure someone will say 64bit is useless if you're captured 8-16bit subs but hey i dont mind and my computer is happy.