Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 04-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Assigning colour profiles to moniotrs, software and images.

How do I assign the same colour profile to my monitors, software and therefore images so they look the same. I was curious as I was reading about the Malin Awards a while ago and there was a reference to a particular colour profile.

Which begs another question, is that the correct colour profile to have or is there a better one? Is it only a way of ensuring that when you see yellow,for example, it is basically the same yellow on every monitor?

Do imagers like Mike Sidonio and Peter Ward, Martin Pugh, Marcus Davies and Damien Peach (hope I've got every bodies names right) use colour profiles and set everything the same? Jump in you guys and let me know!

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:22 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

It depends upon on what you intend to do with the final output of your image e.g post online or produce prints. Ideally you should edit using ProPhoto because it has the widest gamut. However, you really need to know how to adjust colours correctly. Otherwise when you convert down to sRGB for the web you may clip the gamut and create colour shifts that might produce some funky hues. If you're not familiar with using ProPhoto then I recommend using Adobe RGB or keep it simple and stick to sRGB. To apply a profile across everything, you select it in the operating system's colour management options. Sorry I don't know what those guys do but if they're were to chime in I'd love to know also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (colour management.jpg)
160.9 KB15 views