Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Recommendations for a planetary setup?

Folks,

Could anyone recommend a planetary cam that would work well with my 2 yo dual core ultra book? I've got a QHY 5L-II and can't get 30fps out of it at full resolution 1280x960. Prefer OSC as I'm new to this experiment! I don't seem to have problems with transfer speed across USB or writing to the HDD but connecting the dots doesn't seem to work out. I'd rather not replace it if I can get away with it as no decent laptops are cheap IMO.

Or will I run into the same problems capturing either way? In which case, should I try 640x480 or something from the above? I'd just like to capture some footage of our planets this year that a starter could be happy with, although tips on getting past that also welcomed

Cheers,
Dunk
Old 06-02-2014, 05:46 AM
Rac (Raymond)

You don't want to capture planets at full res, you will just end up making large files that take a long time to process. Unless you are trying to fit moons in then use the smallest crop you can without the planet falling off the edge all the time.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Ah ok thanks Raymond! Looks like I'll have to work on my mount setup some more, I was getting a little drift and figure out how to setup the ROI.

What sort of frame rates/exposure are optimal? Just trying to get an idea of what I should be aiming for.