Old 28-03-2021, 08:28 AM
tim.anderson (Tim Anderson)

2021 CWAS David Malin Awards

On the occasion of Dr David Malin's 80th birthday on 28 March 2021, the Central West Astronomical Society is proud to announce the 2021 CWAS Astrophotography Awards - the "David Malin Awards".

At David's behest, the competition this year will see a change in the judging structure. In order to build on the experience of previous years, and to continue as the premier competition of its kind in Australia, a panel of three distinguished Australian astrophotographers will judge the category entries. Dr David Malin will judge the Overall Winner from the list of these winners, as the best in show. We are honoured that the judging panel will include Peter Ward, Phil Hart, and Alex Cherney, all previous winners of the "David Malin Awards" and numerous other international astrophotography competitions.

Submission of entries will be accepted from Sunday, 28 March 2021, and will close at 24:00 (AEST) on Monday, 31 May 2021.

For more, visit: https://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/new...astrofest/DMA/

Last edited by tim.anderson; 28-03-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 28-03-2021, 09:43 AM
gregbradley

Good to see its back.

Greg.
Old 28-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Good choice of Judges
Old 28-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Stefan Buda

I think that it is a good change for the DMA to have several judges involved and it may encourage more people to enter the competition.
My problem is that the only decent image I produced over the last year, I entered it into the Greenwich competition. I have two months to come up with something - perhaps at the last minute lunar eclipse on 26th of May.

Last edited by Stefan Buda; 28-03-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 28-03-2021, 03:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

First up, kudos to the indefatigable John Sarkissian at CWAS for keeping the Malins on the AP calendar. With recent events is was hard to know whether the contest would continue at all in 2021. David, who turns 80 today, was also wanting a much reduced judging work-load.

The CWAS organized many zoom meetings to keep, what has become something of an institution for Australian Astrophotography, alive and well. It’s quite the honor to be a member of first judging panel but I believe it also requires yours truly to remove my presence from the IIS forum (I am sure some cheers will go up with that announcement ! )

A hallmark of previous years was “blind judging” which de-identified submissions to remove any possibility of bias or favour.
I think it important to keep that integrity to the system which clearly can’t exist if I chime-in with kudos,
blunt critique or suggestions on how to improve an image…which then might find its way to the CWAS entry pool.

And with that, I’ll take my leave from IIS.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 28-03-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 28-03-2021, 10:46 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
First up, kudos to the indefatigable John Sarkissian at CWAS for keeping the Malins on the AP calendar. With recent events is was hard to know whether the contest would continue at all in 2021. David, who turns 80 today, was also wanting a much reduced judging work-load.

The CWAS organized many zoom meetings to keep, what has become something of an institution for Australian Astrophotography, alive and well. It’s quite the honor to be a member of first judging panel but I believe it also requires yours truly to remove my presence from the IIS forum (I am sure some cheers will go up with that announcement ! )

A hallmark of previous years was “blind judging” which de-identified submissions to remove any possibility of bias or favour.
I think it important to keep that integrity to the system which clearly can’t exist if I chime-in with kudos,
blunt critique or suggestions on how to improve an image…which then might find its way to the CWAS entry pool.

And with that, I’ll take my leave from IIS.

Ohh no - and that will also mean that you can't enter
a picture into the competition.
We lose on 2 fronts.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 PM
Imme (Jon)

So who’s giving it a crack this year?

I had some luck last year so will be throwing my hat in the ring this year as well.