Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 04-08-2017, 02:56 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Another condensation thread

Okay, I've looked at the other threads on this topic. All very informative but no real discussion around wall condensation. So I have colourbond cladding over top hat thats attached to 150mm Purlins in my obs walls. I've just roofed this part of the building and that's insulated with foam core.

I'm now thinking walls. Internal surfaces are pretty damp atm, which is not really that surprising, but if I am going make the warm room habitable in winter, (I get snow), whats the best order of ops re: sisalation: rock wool: internal cladding? Should I be isolating the insulation from the colourbond and perhaps leave small vents or a gap between the colourbond and the raise floor yellow tongue flooring?

Such fun when its zero centigrade most of the day!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

i've been running a Delonghi dehumidifier running on a daily timer in my Obs for around a decade. Short vacuum sealing your observatory, nothing else will dry physicslly dry the interior on a regular basis.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Wilso

Hi Rom,
Start with sisalation under exterior cladding that runs past the bottom of floor level, leave an air gap where possible to insulation, if just timber frame there won't be enough room for a gap. Choose a high r rating insulation that will fit the available thickness. The higher r rating the higher insulation quality, don't miss any gaps when installing. Use google, plenty of different products out there and another layer of sisalation on the inside to increase the thermal rating if req.(optional) then the interior lining of choice .
Have fun
Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Hi Rom,
Start with sisalation under exterior cladding that runs past the bottom of floor level, leave an air gap where possible to insulation, if just timber frame there won't be enough room for a gap. Choose a high r rating insulation that will fit the available thickness. The higher r rating the higher insulation quality, don't miss any gaps when installing. Use google, plenty of different products out there and another layer of sisalation on the inside to increase the thermal rating if req.(optional) then the interior lining of choice .
Have fun
Thanks for the advice. It stopped being fun when the max temp got to 1C. Now, I am feeling slightly insane.. Hoping to avoid a de-humidifier option if I can. Most of the year is excellent but when the fog rolls in... Phew
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
leon

I used to us an Exhaust Fan and a 300mm Fan inside the Observatory running continuously, Summer and Winter, it actually worked a treat.

Leon
Old 06-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Marke (Mark)

I get very little to no condensation unless its really dewy , I have colourbond outside with reflective foam core insulation and the inside lined with ply and its been damp free for 5yrs now
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20120425_153018.jpg)
211.4 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (20120506_154711.jpg)
199.8 KB64 views