Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Bungling Personified

My heartiest congratulations to the NSW Govt for the introduction of the recycling levy placed on beverage containers. I'm one of the lucky ones, I've only got a 128km trip to redeem my eligible items. Maybe it would be more expedient to simply pay this hidden tax, and send the containers to the relevant minister to deal with personally.

For those interested, you can mail individual containers to:- Gabrielle Upton, MP; 330 New South Head Rd, Double Bay NSW 2028.

I'm sure after she receives the initial thousand or so, she may realise there may have been a grave mistake made, viz; total lack of preparation...........

Old 02-12-2017, 10:57 AM
JA

That reminds me ....

Best
JA
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

At least you have recycling. In Tasmania, I can drive through pristine world heritage rain forest and alpine country, but to actually walk in it I have to first walk through a 2m wide fringe of plastic, glass and aluminium containers dumped by bogan scumbags who could not be bothered recycling. If it was up to me, we'ed be starting with $5 per item, including all the crap these companies decided to NOT consider whilst making squillions of $ poisoning the aforementioned. Then, I'd make the same scumbags clean up the plastic islands floating around the oceans, at their cost!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

[QUOTE=el_draco;1346586]At least you have recycling.

I fully agree with you Rom. My main point here is yet another multi-million dollar fracas by our government which would have been much more effective if properly implemented in the first instance. Yet another hidden tax where the returns are not going to be directed to the relevant problem rectification.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Had such a good system for bottles and tins in NSW back in the 60's and 70's and it was dismantled to make way for bigger profits from disposables, rather than recycleables. Now it would cost hundred's of millions to set up again, and no retailer is going to want to be part of it the way they used to be.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Wavytone

Actually we don’t really have recycling. Yes everyone dutifully sorts the recyclables and they’re collected, BUT the waste paper/glass/plastic and steel isn’t used.

Apparently it still cheaper to make new stuff from the raw materials than process the used materials.

There was a recent article explaining what actually happens in Sydney, at least - the “recycled” materials are simply sent to a dump at

In the 60’s and 70’ I’m fairly sure that system involved a subsidy of some sort to make it work.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Us kids about six and only 10 years old, would get the horse and cart and round up all the beer bottles ( one penny) and soft drink bottles ( six pence ) and by the time we finished the cart load would be a foot or two above the sides of the cart.
Alex
Old 03-12-2017, 04:53 PM
drylander (Peter)

Why do they make it so complicated? Here in SA you just take them to depots to cash them in no machines and vouchers and been operating many years. Rather than come up with new ideas to solve the same problem just look at what SA has been doing and copy it. Even the NT managed to stuff it up.
Oh and by the way the soft drinks were dearer in Qld and NSW when we went through a couple years ago. Its not rocket science people.
Pete
Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 PM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

Yes, Peter, I cant understand that S.A. has that system and nobody else has. I am fed up with seeing on bottles how they are only redeemable in S.A. Too simple, so it cant be any good good seems to be the moron motto. In Canada, my brother supplements his pension by collecting beer bottles to such an extent that he buys airfares to England with the proceeds, at the same time cleaning up the camp sites and road verges. On one occasion he passed a suburban garden in the early morning absolutely covered with bottles. He went back later in the day, knocked on the door and asked if he could have all the bottles. The bleary-eyed owner thought my brother was mad - said "Go ahead!" My brother collected a whole car-full of empty bottles, went straight down to the recycling centre and collected over $50 for an hour's work!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM
kittenshark (Cheryl-Ann Tan)

One of my favourite things in Finland when I lived there for 8 months were the 'reverse vending machines'. You put in drink bottles and cans that have an eligible bar code and it gives you store credit you can spend at the participating supermarket. Or a lottery ticket if you feel lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZlstzIHDw

Of course there had to be the one time where I collected 5 EUR worth of store credit, only to lose the coupon somewhere between the machine and the supermarket aisle... gah!