Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-11-2017, 09:41 AM
gary

Exclamation Heads up: Mac OS X High Sierra root login no password balls-up

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/con...29-gzuxmm.html
Old 01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
rally

Thx Gary,

All the more reason to resist automatic updates until they have been properly debugged.

I have had more problems in my life caused by updating perfectly good software and OS's that have resulted in either catastrophic or partial systemic failure, loss of data and access to devices etc than I have had with even hardware failures.

Wait till the hackers work out a way how to redirect and impersonate Microsofts automated update services - if they couple that with some decent trojans the windows cyber world will probably collapse !
Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 PM
billdan (Bill)

"" Wait till the hackers work out a way how to redirect and impersonate Microsofts automated update services - if they couple that with some decent trojans the windows cyber world will probably collapse ! ""

Good point Rally, but that could also apply to any auto update, i.e anti-virus, java etc.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:02 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

I've read this as well.
My Macbook has still 10.12, but the old Macbook of my girlfriend has 10.13 but she rarely uses this, I just upgraded for curiosity.
But this is a serious flaw and a strong mistake of Apple which sells only high-end devices. I hope the flawing team members are fired. Steve Jobs would have done that.
The problem nowadays is, that new software in consumer devices is released too quickly and still has bugs in it.
Presumably, companies make more money by releasing buggy software too early than less frequently releasing more reliable software.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Presumably, companies make more money by releasing buggy software too early than less frequently releasing more reliable software.
Given that OS X comes bundled on the Mac and updates are free, I'd guess they don't make any more money releasing buggy versions...before even considering the negative press...

But let's keep this threat in perspective...in most cases, you need physical access to the machine to abuse this vulnerability, and they patched it within 24 hours of it going public. That's no excuse, they should have picked it up in testing without a doubt.