Old 09-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Camera Mod

Hi,

Only getting started with astrophotography and was hoping to use my Nikon D7000 DSLR camera. Would this work?

Also I have heard of modding the DSLR cameras, what does this mean and do I need to mod my camera before using?

Any help will appreciated.

Cheers
Rod
Old 09-11-2020, 03:55 PM
RyanJones

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Astrophotography.

In short, yes you can use your DSLR for astrophotography. If you are connecting it to a telescope you will need a “ t-ring “ and “ t adaptor “ to suit your camera. If you are planing to shoot from a tripod then you will only be able to do short exposures before getting star trails ( because of the starts apparent rotation across the sky ) but still it’s absolutely possible.

As far as modifying goes, my suggestion would be to start without modifying and move onto that later once you get a little bit more comfortable. Basically what it is is inside your stock DSLR there is a filter/filters that block out the extreme ends of the visual spectrum such as ultra violet ( vu ) and infared ( IR ) . Many Deepsky objects emit these wavelengths of light so your DSLR will struggle to show them. That’s not to say there’s not a lot of things it can see. In fact Galaxies only have a minor change with a modified camera. Basically the modifying process removes this stock filter either entirely or replaces it with a far wider range filter.

I hope this helps

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. The folk on here have a wealth of experience to offer.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 10-11-2020, 01:45 PM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for explaining it to me. I guess I didn't explain enough of what type of astrophotography I was planning on. I recently purchased a Skywatcher 10" f4.7 Newt with an AZ EQ6 Pro mount to use. I have the T-ring and adaptor but currently trying to get the guide scope and as you know everyone is short on supplies. I was looking at an Orion 50mm with helical focuser and a ZWO 120MC but still can't get my hands on one. Trying to keep it small as I already have heaps of weight on the mount. Soon I will commence building an observatory with a pier which should help somewhat on stabilizing. I believe I will also require a coma corrector which should give me exactly 55mm for the DSLR focusing. Are all coma corrector's the same thickness or is there a particular one I should use?

Cheers
Rod
Old 10-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1448 View Post
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for explaining it to me. I guess I didn't explain enough of what type of astrophotography I was planning on. I recently purchased a Skywatcher 10" f4.7 Newt with an AZ EQ6 Pro mount to use. I have the T-ring and adaptor but currently trying to get the guide scope and as you know everyone is short on supplies. I was looking at an Orion 50mm with helical focuser and a ZWO 120MC but still can't get my hands on one. Trying to keep it small as I already have heaps of weight on the mount. Soon I will commence building an observatory with a pier which should help somewhat on stabilizing. I believe I will also require a coma corrector which should give me exactly 55mm for the DSLR focusing. Are all coma corrector's the same thickness or is there a particular one I should use?

Cheers
Rod

Rod,

Ive have many coma corrector's which I use on my 6" , 8" and 12' Newts

Bintel GSO 2" Coma Corrector
Skywatcher F5 Coma Corrector
Televue Paracorr Type 2 2" Coma Corrector
Baader MPCC MkIII coma Corrector

For my visual work you cannot beat the performance of the Televue Paracorr Type 2

For Astrophotography you cannot beat the performance of the Baader MPCC MkIII

The Baader MPCC screws straight into your Canon T Ring and then pop the DSLR with Coma Corrector into your 2" focuser

Eliminates coma at f5 right to the edge of field , its a proven performer world wide , IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON ONE !!!!!

Cheers

Martin
Old 10-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rod,

I think Bintel have more stock of the Baader MPCC MkIII coma correctors coming in as Ive ordered a second one to keep down at my dark site and its not too far off

Maybe give them a buzz

Martin
Old 10-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Rod,

I think Bintel have more stock of the Baader MPCC MkIII coma correctors coming in as Ive ordered a second one to keep down at my dark site and its not too far off

Maybe give them a buzz

Martin

Thanks Martin,

From what I have read, including your posts, most people recommend the Baader corrector. Just spoke with Bintel and apparently they have some on the way. Can you still use the Baader for visual?

Cheers
Rod
Old 10-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Rod,
Yes you can use the Baader MPCC Mklll for visual but you need to buy a visual kit which includes the coma corrector ( Visual Version part no 2458403 ) and includes the adapter to accept eye pieces
Martin
Old 10-11-2020, 07:14 PM
RyanJones

I use the Baader MPCC Mark 1 but I’m looking at changing it as i believe it causes vignetting and isn’t really suited to my f/4 which apparently has been sorted out in the mark 3.

As far as your choice of guide camera, may I suggest the MM rather than the MC. With a guide camera you don’t need it to be colour and the monochrome is more sensitive with its lack of a bayer matrix. I personally use the 120mm mini and I find it does a more than ample job.

I’m running an 8” Newt on a HEQ5 pro which weight wise is pushing things but it has forced me to be careful and learn a lot about the way I’ve set it up to make it work. A 10” on a HEQ6 will be fine but if you learn how to balance properly and take the time to understand it that setup will be fantastic.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 13-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Rod1448 (Rod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Rod,
Yes you can use the Baader MPCC Mklll for visual but you need to buy a visual kit which includes the coma corrector ( Visual Version part no 2458403 ) and includes the adapter to accept eye pieces
Martin

Hi Martin,

Bintel couldn't tell me when their MKIII were coming in and they did not have any of the Visual ones coming in until sometime next year. I searched around and found a QLD store (Astro Anarchy) which have a few including the visual version and cheaper so just ordered and also got a WiFi module as well so I can connect to phone. There seems to be many apps that look to be good.

Cheers
Rod