Old 22-02-2010, 09:50 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
All i get is "Noise" from you Guys!

Ahh, had to put that in, as it "Cooled" me right down.

Theo.

Old 22-02-2010, 09:54 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

This thread seems to have wandered off topic a bit.. I think the Dec balance is a little north heavy..
Old 22-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

"You very funny guy... that's why I kill you last."

H
Old 22-02-2010, 10:01 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Nah, we are just very southerly happy for Mr H with a bias to the dark art of the flat field that the light will do to the Red, Green and Blue.
Old 22-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I've requested a formal quote for payment.

I've ordered the Starlight Instruments FTF3545B-A 3.5" Feathertouch focuser with digital focusing.

I've ordered a Dewbuster.

I'm done for the forseeable future.

You guys are mean, making me spend all this money and sending me broke.

Next thing you know I'll have ordered a 12.5" RC and a Paramount ME.

H
Old 23-02-2010, 02:04 AM
leinad (Dan)

Good stuff H.

You'll love the FT focuser and digital focusing system
Love mine
Old 23-02-2010, 09:50 AM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Mate - In all seriousness, despite the huge difference in QE, If I'd had the money to buy an STL11K, I would have... And I would probably swap my ST8300/CFW2-7/Astrodon LRGB filters for an STL-11K without filters... * I would keep the NB filters! haha

If you can afford the STL, get it. Or hold out to see if SBIG release an STX-8300... They have listed it as a possibility at this stage, and I am waiting with baited breath. If the STX8300 comes out I'll definitely make the change for superior cooling, self guiding, and the ability to use AO/RGH setups....

The ST8300 is a no frills imaging setup. It produces the goods left right and center, and I suppose thats where it really matters, but it has nothing that sets it apart from the hoard of other 8300 cameras out there.. The STL-11K is a real imaging machine... Shame you're asking this question now... Had it been two weeks ago I'd have been pointing you towards the FLI PL11002M setup that was for sale Awesome camera too...

Money wise, my ST8300/CFW/Filters/OAG/Guide cam cost me about $300 less than what an STL11002M C2 costs with no filters... so really, you're talking a saving of $900, but you're cutting corners so to speak, OAG is not self guiding, the quality is not the same.. The sensor size difference is pretty immense, the QHY5 is no where near as sensitive as the internal guide chip in the SBIG cams... The Texas Instruments TC-237 guide chip that was in my ST9 could easily guide through a 13nm Ha filter with 2sec exposures, binned 2x2...

You can save money, and have a lot more sensitivity, or you can have a fully featured imaging camera, but cost more money...

Its hard to compare the two cameras really, because they are so different...

I suppose I would put forth, that if you've got the money to consider the STL11K, but you're still considering the ST8300 based on either price or its sensitivity and pixel size for your imaging setup... Perhaps you should look at something like the FLI ML8300.. It cools faster, and futher than the ST8300, has exceptional noise characteristics (as a result of the supreme cooling) faster image downloads (2sec vs 7.5sec) is smaller, and to my knowledge, lighter.. All the upsides of the KAF8300, with much better cooling than any other 8300 camera...

All in all, there is no answer that anyone can give you that will satisfy you.. You really have to buy what you want.. If you want the extra sensor area, and all the extra features of the STL, get it.. If you're more interested in the small pixels of the KAF8300, and its sensitivity, then I would say, think long and hard about what 8300 camera you buy... There are many many options out there, and its easy to get lost... I'm happy with the ST8300, and I was absolutely amazed at what it produced on its first light attached to a ED127... I can vouch for the combination... They go well together... Had I had more money at the time of purchase, I would have bought the FLI 8300 based purely on cooling... My second choice would have been the Apogee Alta U8300M, Then the ST8300...

Sorry if I've rambled on there a bit.. It is something I've thought about before, so I have many mixed feelings on the subject. Comes down to personal tastes and requirements really.
Having read this thread again I really thought that Alex's post above summed up a lot of the delemma that affords getting a new camera at the moment very well.
Im glad H has finally made a decision but Im still fence sitting at the moment.
Allan
Old 23-02-2010, 01:05 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

There really is nothing like a dirty great big feathertouch to make the setup look serious! You'll love the FTF3545.. I had the opportuninty to use one not too long ago on a friends 140mm refractor and it was superb..

Dewbuster.. well, its not really exciting, but it is a requirement if you want to keep the moisture off your lens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

I've ordered the Starlight Instruments FTF3545B-A 3.5" Feathertouch focuser with digital focusing.

H
Old 23-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Hagar (Doug)

If you can buy a Paramount ME and a 12.5 RC I want a cutting from your money tree PLEASE.

Quote:

H
Old 24-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Update:

Ordered and paid for.

The waiting begins.

Now, for the rain, and general inclement weather. waa waa.

H
Old 24-02-2010, 04:05 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Bet you're positively buzzing at the moment mate!! I tell you what, you're about to rediscover your love for astro imaging in ways you never thought possible...
Old 24-02-2010, 04:33 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

AAhhh stupid imaging
Old 25-02-2010, 06:50 AM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Quote:
Update:

Now, for the rain, and general inclement weather. waa waa.

H

GRRRRRRRR

frank
Old 25-02-2010, 05:01 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Genuinely excited for you. I need you to talk to my wife about releasing some funds...
Old 28-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

STL-11000M or ST-8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Mate - In all seriousness, despite the huge difference in QE, If I'd had the money to buy an STL11K, I would have... And I would probably swap my ST8300/CFW2-7/Astrodon LRGB filters for an STL-11K without filters .
Having been confronted with the same decision last year I am thinking I really should have purchased the STL-11K rather than the ST-8300. I placed my order for the ST-8300 last year and I am still waiting for delivery. Had I gone the STL road I would have had it by now plus it would have been a better purchase.
Old 28-02-2010, 07:47 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Yep... I ordered mine the day they were able to be ordered last year, and received mine early this year... I had a 2 or 3 month wait... and it was in that time I calculated the price difference between the STL11K + filters vs ST8300 + CFW 2-7 + Filters + Autoguiding setup to be something like $800... Had I done that calculation first, I would have bought an STL11K. Even knowing that my scope cant provide the 35mm frame with a flat field...
Old 28-02-2010, 08:20 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

mmm Mine was a decision of FL and QE... Having had an ST10 in the past, I understand perfectly what a high QE camera has over a lower QE camera.

I think it was also the fact that the prices of the ST8300 setup were separate, where as the STL11K setup was a single $8500 item, the 8300 setup SEEMED more achievable, where as in reality, both were achievable.. The 8300 will give you sharper images in the FSQ, but given the amount of FSQ + STL images out there that are awesome, you'd have done well either way...

The STL11K wouldn't have taken any more skill to master I don't think.. Self guiding isnt any more difficult to master than external guiding. if anything. I find it easier.. The only difference to external guiding is that you don't have to setup an external guide scope/camera. just connect to the self guiding camera, compose your image with the imaging camera, select a guide star with the guiding camera, tell it to guide and start your imaging run... Nothing to it...
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Approximately 32 days until delivery.

H
Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Having been confronted with the same decision last year I am thinking I really should have purchased the STL-11K rather than the ST-8300. I placed my order for the ST-8300 last year and I am still waiting for delivery. Had I gone the STL road I would have had it by now plus it would have been a better purchase.
I dont think you 2 guys have made the wrong choice at all, the choices are just different IMO, not one better than the other.

The ST11k has a bigger chip and is a neater all-in-one solution, and better for H especially for feild use, wins on convienience.

The ST8300 has a much higher QE (for me, thats a killer) and with an OAGer much more suited for long FLs and NB.

To fit an OAGer to a ST11k is not a trivial task (and for long FL NB, that becomes attactive, if not essential) , it is very heavy (much more than the ST8300 I think?), I think you would need a MOAG at least. One adaptor I got with my image train, had those pissy little finger-tighten screws on it I see a lot of ppl use (and me in the past), was a complete joke, I had to drill and tap 8 holes for 6mm screws. So accessories and adaptors become quite expensive, you need to use the heavy duty gear.

So, point is, ST11k all in one convienience and big chip, but gets expensive with OAG later. And ST8300 hi QE and is more versatile with OAG etc within the same price.

But of course if in the end you wanted to go AO, then the ST11K is the choice.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

STL-11000M or ST-8300M

Going with the KAF-8300 sensor may turn out to be a good choice but going with the SBIG ST-8300 has been somewhat regretable. Had I known that the wait would have been so long I would have chosen Apogee or FLI. I haven't even decided on the filter wheel. I was hoping to go with the FW8-STL over the FW5-8300 but with SBIG's delay in releasing the FW5 the adapter for the FW8-STL will draw out also.