Old 07-03-2017, 11:57 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Mkiii eq6wedge for EQ6

Hi all another newbie here to the site. I'm interested in buying this http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/...kiii-eq6wedge/ but wanted to know if anyone here owns one. I would like to hear your thoughts before I click the purchase button. It seems like a well made piece and a great upgrade for the NEQ6.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 AM
StuTodd

Save yourself a lot of money and get these http://www.axio35.dsl.pipex.com/astr...a%20cables.htm..

Far cheaper and got my EQ6 to within 7" Alt..guiding does the rest.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks StuTodd there's some great upgrades on that link that I'm sure to add my collection. However my main reason for considering the wedge is because it's very difficult for me to adjust my EQ6 when it's all loaded up. I understand that the stainless steel bots are better however I'm not too sure if they will be good enough. You see my mount is very stiff and I really would like it to be a lot easier when making small adjustments during polar alignment.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've got the earlier version fitted to my EQ6, only minor modifications in the newer version.

I had the replacement bolts before and they don't even come close to the functionality...it doesn't solve the issue that there's a lot of effort involved turning the bolts to lower/raise the altitude. The azimuth is largely the same of course, but that's not the problem with the EQ6.

When you have significant payload, it makes all the difference. I use a C11 on my EQ6 with some regularity and it's a cinch to get it polar aligned nicely.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:50 PM
casstony

It's a fair lump of cash that could go towards an AZ-EQ6 which has a better base and belt drives?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

For sure...but once you've offloaded your EQ6, it's then $1000+ to upgrade. The wedge is beautifully engineered.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I did my EQ6 with quite a while back with this for the same reason as you, it is SO much better to use! It isn't cheap but if you are on a mobile setup it is nice and easy to use.

One other alternative would be to use a QHY PoleMaster, get it aligned and then put your kit together. Not functional if you want to setup before sunset though.

My only reason for suggesting this is that if the wedge isn't under load it doesn't play nice with the PoleMaster in that there is some "flop" for lack of a better term. Fine when under load but can shift when load is put on if that makes sense.
It was something I noticed when setting up my EQ6 for wide field photography.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

From the responses it sounds like this is upgrade although pricey, is a winner. I can't see from the photos but is there an indicator for the latitude angle? If not how do you know what angle you're at?

Last edited by LostInSp_ce; 09-03-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Here's a great rundown on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM7JH7vBNFU

Takes you through the setup and pros and cons. It is a tad old being the prototype (ie it wasn't even priced then) but it will give you a good idea of what's what.

I see that AUD they're about $450 delivered. Pricey but not bad given the VAT is removed and being under $1000 it doesn't attract GST.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:25 AM
trent_julie

I had one on my old and now dusty eq6. They are wonderful.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
I can't see from the photos but is there an indicator for the latitude angle? If not how do you know what angle you're at?
No there isn't - but nothing would be as accurate as what you see through your scope.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
If not how do you know what angle you're at?
Use something like the "Clinometer" app on an iPhone, it gives elevation to 0.1 degree.

Relying on what you see through a low power telescope is not easy firstly, and potentially not accurate as it assumes the optical axis and RA axis are accurately parallel. It's not unusual to find they are not parallel by as much as 2-3 degrees due to inaccuracies in the mount, and flexure.

There is another way as well - choose a bright star on the meridian, centre that in your scope and read the declination circle. The difference between the reading and the true declination of the star equals the altitude error of the RA axis.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:43 AM
vlazg (George)

You can use an inclinometer or buy a digital level from Bunnings with an angle readout and put it on your mount, quite cheap
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks, all of your opinions and suggestions have been invaluable. I've hit the purchase button and hope to receive my new wedge late next week. I'll see how I go with the clinometer app, as long as it's good enough to get me within the ball park I'll be happy.Then I'll fine tune the alignment through the telescope.
Old 30-03-2017, 11:52 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

How went the purchase? Are you happy with things?
Old 31-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I'm curious, is this the same thing? http://www.eq6wedge.com/
Old 31-03-2017, 04:55 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

That's the one
Old 31-03-2017, 08:36 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingBeagles View Post
How went the purchase? Are you happy with things?
Hi Peter, I'll give an honest rundown for you and anyone interested in purchasing this.

Is it cheap? NO. It isn't cheap, but if you can afford it and you're having problems with your altitude adjustment or you just don't like the way it adjusts then you will not be disappointed if you decide to get this wedge. It works exactly as described, making the adjustment process less painful. Assembly is straight forward and doesn't take long. In fact I received mine in the box almost fully assembled which reduced the installation time significantly.

The hardest thing I found about the upgrade was trying to disassemble the old one. I suggest doing this before your new wedge arrives in order to save you a lot of time. When removing the original wedge you need to be patient and don't rush things. I almost burred one of the edges where it pivots when I tried to pull it out. You can see that this guy had the same problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM7JH7vBNFU (skip to 7 mins to see what I mean). However once it's off the rest is quick and easy.

Another thing worth noting about the wedge is the build quality. It's well made and is a little heavier but this to me increases stability. Everything just feels more secure and stable at that particular contact point. Adjustments too are a lot smoother and more precise. Is there room for improvement? Yes, but from a functional point of view everything works great. The improvements I would like to see are only aesthetic.

It would be a nice touch if it was painted white to match the mount. Also it would be nice to have a circular or disc shape base so that it would follow the cylindrical shape of the pier extender. Doing these two things would give the wedge a more polished look and maybe help to persuade more people to hit that purchase button.

In summary would I recommend it? If you can afford it, then yes.
Is it a must have upgrade? No, but if you're having serious problems with altitude adjustments then this will resolve them.
Am I happy with it? ABSOLUTELY.

That's my two cents.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:48 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Great post and thank you for going to all the trouble. I would love to get one but might have to save I think.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:18 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

You're welcome are you having trouble with adjustment or do you just want to upgrade for easier use?