Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 15-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Ngc 2070 hoo

This is just one of those regions that I keep coming back to over and over again. I think I've imaged it with one filter or another with every imaging setup I've had so far and this is no exception.
Earlier this year I drained my virtual wallet and put in the order for a Officina Stellare RH200 and I've been playing with that for the past two months. Still having some teething issues but the after sale support from Officina Stellare is beyond reproach. During office hours (in Italy) there is usually an email response within 30 minutes. So far I haven't done anything or touched anything without getting the go ahead, being paranoid that I'll tighten or unscrew something that'll cause it to fall to bits

Long story short Riccardo (a properly Italian name) thinks I'll have to make some very slight adjustments to the front lens so I'm just waiting on them to write a document on how to go about doing it and which of the 8 hex bolts I should/shouldn't touch.

This is a complete bare bones rendition. No noise reduction, no deconvolution, no nothin'. Stacked and stretched.
I loaded it into GoodLook 64 which did an excellent job but until I can get some more data to separate the faint Ha and OIII background from the gradients that'll just have to wait. At the moment it appears like virtually every bit of the field has stuff and the SNR is too low on the left side of the frame.

High Res Link

Like the professionals, offical first light is when I get the gremlins sorted out
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (RGB HOO IIS.jpg)
176.8 KB114 views
Old 15-11-2017, 04:39 PM
gregbradley

Pretty spectacular for a scope you are still sorting. I don't see any issues in the image so not sure what the problem is with the scope.

Could do with a bit more saturation is my only comment. Otherwise its a WOW.

Good choice of scope. All the top imagers are using Honders type scopes!!!

Greg.
Old 15-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Oh yes! Lovely to look at Colin. Detail, and a nice use of the palette.
Very nicely done.

Trev
Old 15-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Pretty spectacular for a scope you are still sorting. I don't see any issues in the image so not sure what the problem is with the scope.

Could do with a bit more saturation is my only comment. Otherwise its a WOW.

Good choice of scope. All the top imagers are using Honders type scopes!!!

Greg.
It's largely masked by shooting on both sides of meridian. The attached plot is taken from 29 drizzled frames from one side of meridian. Although it looks like a tilt issue, this largely remains unchanged even when fiddling with the built in tip/tilt plate.
On arrival one of the bolts that holds the tip/tilt plate in place was very tight and I eventually found out that it shouldn't have been. This is the first image I took after I backed that bolt of 0.6mm to get the backplate within ~100 microns of flat using a digital depth gauge. Before backing off the bottom right corner was just terribly out of focus (maybe 200 microns) compared to the top left corner. Also getting maybe 2% vignetting on the left hand side of the frame and up to 11% on the right.

Having come from two Chinese refractors which had quite good build quality, nothing at all to complain about them, when you get something that just oozes quality in every part of its manufacturing, you cannot help but admire it in the light of day. I also have to say that it is very forgiving to use. Yes it has some teething issues but that doesn't bother me, they're not serious, one bolt tightened that shouldn't have been and what currently appears to be a slight front lens miscollimation after a 12,000km journey through various handlers.

Also have to remember that even the tiniest of issues are made more noticeable at F/3! And people say going from F/5 to F/4 is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Oh yes! Lovely to look at Colin. Detail, and a nice use of the palette.
Very nicely done.

Trev
Thanks Trev
Old 15-11-2017, 07:40 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks promising, Colin. Once you get the scope dialed in you will be cooking with gas!
Old 15-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

IMO the data looks great already Colin. And a beautiful scope too! Great to know that 3nm Astrodons work at F/3
Old 16-11-2017, 07:20 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Wow, thats a top shelf setup you have there now Colin! Good first light too.
Old 16-11-2017, 07:37 AM
gregbradley

[QUOTE=Atmos;1344553]It's largely masked by shooting on both sides of meridian. The attached plot is taken from 29 drizzled frames from one side of meridian. Although it looks like a tilt issue, this largely remains unchanged even when fiddling with the built in tip/tilt plate.
On arrival one of the bolts that holds the tip/tilt plate in place was very tight and I eventually found out that it shouldn't have been. This is the first image I took after I backed that bolt of 0.6mm to get the backplate within ~100 microns of flat using a digital depth gauge. Before backing off the bottom right corner was just terribly out of focus (maybe 200 microns) compared to the top left corner. Also getting maybe 2% vignetting on the left hand side of the frame and up to 11% on the right.

Something is shifting when you go on the other side of the meridian do you mean?

F3 would be touchy collimation. Tiny changes would be the go.

If you are using an OAG then the pick off mirror can easily create a big shadow. I had one on my RHA for a while until I raised the pick off prism and it went away! F3 means the light rays are at a steep angle and that will cause the prism to cast a larger shadow. Perhaps check this is not the case.

Greg.
Old 16-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks promising, Colin. Once you get the scope dialed in you will be cooking with gas!
It's now just down to improving star shapes are FWHM across the frame. Going to get some adapters so I can put a Nikon D810 on the back, it'll make seeing whats happening over the whole corrected imaging circle a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
IMO the data looks great already Colin. And a beautiful scope too! Great to know that 3nm Astrodons work at F/3
One thing I have noticed going from an EQ6 to premium mount and now to a premium scope, as with you going to a Mach 1, even when things aren't working perfectly they still work well. When my EQ6 was having a bad day (gremlins), it just plain didn't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Wow, thats a top shelf setup you have there now Colin! Good first light too.
Thanks Simon. Once I get the collimation set, Official First Light will commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Something is shifting when you go on the other side of the meridian do you mean?

F3 would be touchy collimation. Tiny changes would be the go.

If you are using an OAG then the pick off mirror can easily create a big shadow. I had one on my RHA for a while until I raised the pick off prism and it went away! F3 means the light rays are at a steep angle and that will cause the prism to cast a larger shadow. Perhaps check this is not the case.

Greg.
Nothing shifting, just that the top of the image is better than the bottom so once you go over meridian everything flips 180º. After stacking it helps star shapes all over the frame... to some extent.

Just waiting to hear what I need to touch. I've been told it isn't difficult to do but with just shy of 10 hex bolts at the aperture of various sizes, don't want to go eany meany manie mo

Also not using an OAG but I have noticed that the very steep light angles cause more "artefacts" on a sensor with micron lens' and no anti-reflection plate on sensor
Old 16-11-2017, 05:56 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Wow Colin that's an awesome scope you have

I can see the stars are kinda triangular .... and that makes sense given your description of the difference across the meridian problem but this is really only noticeable at full res. I hope you get it sorted, having such a potentially mighty fine instrument you would want it returning excellent stars across your relatively small chip...lucky you aren't using a 16803 chip!!! Good luck

Mike
Old 16-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Wow Colin that's an awesome scope you have

I can see the stars are kinda triangular .... and that makes sense given your description of the difference across the meridian problem but this is really only noticeable at full res. I hope you get it sorted, having such a potentially mighty fine instrument you would want it returning excellent stars across your relatively small chip...lucky you aren't using a 16803 chip!!! Good luck

Mike
The collimation shouldn't be off by too much, just going to need some small adjustments but considering its 12,000km odd trip, that's kinda normal in most instruments Maybe not refractors like your FSQ so much

For one of the other Mikes, finally got around to having a more serious process with GoodLook 64.
GoodLook 64 Version
Had to load it into PI to drop it from its native 65mp form back down to a more respectable 16mp and then cropped slightly
Old 16-11-2017, 07:21 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

Colin that's a amazing image get it sorted quick
AL
Old 16-11-2017, 09:12 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Wow, and then I saw the high res!

Really like the colours.

Cheers,

Damien.
Old 16-11-2017, 09:16 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Noice....

Seriously it's sharp, plenty of details and punchy colours to boot.
Well done Colin.
Bo
Old 16-11-2017, 11:02 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

I know nothing about Astro photography, but that is just a fabulous image.
Old 17-11-2017, 01:26 AM
willik (Willik)

Looks good Colin it just keeps getting better
Martin
Old 17-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

A most excellent and pleasing result. Lots of fine sharp detail; lots of faint wispy subtle stuff in the background.

Hoping you'll add SII at some point.

Last edited by Placidus; 17-11-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 17-11-2017, 09:31 AM
JA

Excellent result

Best
JA
Old 17-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Colin that's a amazing image get it sorted quick
AL
Found out over night that apparently I can collimate using a Tag Collimation Scope so that'll something I'll be purchasing shortly... Plus an adapter to connect one scope to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Wow, and then I saw the high res!

Really like the colours.

Cheers,

Damien.
Thanks Damien, hoping that an eventual SHO version will be even more colourful

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Noice....

Seriously it's sharp, plenty of details and punchy colours to boot.
Well done Colin.
Bo
Thanks Bo, been good seeing yours come along as well HOO is easier to process than SHO btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I know nothing about Astro photography, but that is just a fabulous image.
Thanks Patrick, in some ways it kinda looks like what I see through a telescope than my usual heavy processing. Colour aside obviously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
Looks good Colin it just keeps getting better
Martin
Undecided whether I prefer the very minimalistic processing approach or not, will see how it goes once the fainter SII gets thrown into the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
A most excellent and pleasing result. Lots of fine sharp detail; lots of faint wispy subtle stuff in the background.

Hoping you'll add SII at some point.
It was a bit of fun processing in GoodLook64 although my laptop was REALLY unimpressed with dealing with 65mp images
I was going to add some Sunday night but decided last minute to get more data on NGC 292 give M42 to a crack instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Excellent result

Best
JA
Thanks
Old 18-11-2017, 07:34 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The collimation shouldn't be off by too much, just going to need some small adjustments but considering its 12,000km odd trip, that's kinda normal in most instruments Maybe not refractors like your FSQ so much
Actually Colin looking closely again at your image at full resolution and assuming you haven't specifically worked on your stars in anyway (?) the issues you are having look to be pretty minor, you must almost be tempted not to touch anything in case it gets worse..? ...still, seeing it this good and knowing that a tweak could make it perfect must also be very tempting

Mike