ICEINSPACE
Most Read Articles
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON Waxing Crescent
4.2%
The Sun Now
Time Zones
Sydney*
2:32 am
Perth
11:32 pm
Auckland*
4:32 am
New York
10:32 am
Paris
4:32 pm
GMT
3:32 pm




  #1  
Old 23-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Kunama's Avatar
Kunama (Matt)
TakAttacksRule

Kunama is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,068
Tak Attack IV ..... Coolah, NSW 2018



With the weather issues of 2017 at Bango now behind us it is time to start planning for TA#4......

Allan has kindly offered his second home for the event

Having visited Allan's DarkSky Lodge last year, I can vouch for its fantastic observing conditions.
In fact I was able to see Polarissima Australis (NGC2573) easily, but more amazingly, the two faint sister galaxies were also seen.

Apparently the taller trees around the property have now shrunk to allow even better views of the magnificent night sky....

Look forward to seeing a large gathering......

I will leave to Allan to fill in the details of date and time

The rules are simple:
1.You must be prepared to relax and enjoy the magnificent night sky
2.You need not own a Takahashi, but if you do, then please bring it
3.If you have some nice red wine we encourage you to bring it.......
4.Extremely bright head torches will be taped over......
5.See Rule 1 again
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_4564 (2).jpg)
154.6 KB27 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,526
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-10-2017, 10:05 AM
glend (Glen)
Registered User

glend is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Macquarie
Posts: 4,114
Matt, very tempting, especially since Tak-less folks are welcome. Are imagers allowed? I have some basic knowledge of the location, since the dozer was through the place is there room to park my camper. Since Bundy roams, I assume I can bring Toby (the Lab).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Kunama's Avatar
Kunama (Matt)
TakAttacksRule

Kunama is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Matt, very tempting, especially since Tak-less folks are welcome. Are imagers allowed? I have some basic knowledge of the location, since the dozer was through the place is there room to park my camper. Since Bundy roams, I assume I can bring Toby (the Lab).
Hello Glen,
I will leave it to our generous host Allan Wade to expand on the accommodation options but he has promised to clear the driveway overhangs for my motorhome which is 2.5m wide, 3.3m high and 7m long

Imaging is fine with us ..... It is a very friendly casual gathering
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-10-2017, 12:26 PM
Allan's Avatar
Allan
Registered User

Allan is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 776
Matt, you're keen to get this show on the road.

Let's build this up and get some interest going for a big event. I thought opening it up to everyone, providing you're a decent human, is a good idea. I have so much space, I can set up a roped off area for non Takahashi observers. Plus I can make a 10x10 space off in the bush for anyone who wants to do that imaging stuff.

I won't generally be opening up the party to pets, with some exceptions.

To encourage people to make the journey, I propose we start observing on Thursday for three nights. More chance of some decent observing that way, and if we get clouded out at some stage, please see Matts initial post, re the Red Wine.

Temperature wise, it's probably too hot to consider holding the party in the summer. I think we should look towards March as the next opportunity to run the event.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Allan's Avatar
Allan
Registered User

Allan is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 776
March 17 2018 is the new moon. I propose March 15,16,17 as a likely date. Though I'm certainly open to other suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Kunama's Avatar
Kunama (Matt)
TakAttacksRule

Kunama is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,068
March sounds good, ... then a few days at home to recover before the GrandPrix in Melbourne......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Allan_L's Avatar
Allan_L (Allan)
Member #4706

Allan_L is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast NSW
Posts: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
... I can set up a roped off area for non Takahashi observers. ...
Yes ... Thankyou kind sir..[:grovel: :grovel:].
sounds like a place to be
looking forward to it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-10-2017, 05:16 PM
JohnG's Avatar
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

JohnG is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cootamundra, NSW
Posts: 1,671
Unfortunately, if it is March, I am out, Snake Valley has the March Camp on then..

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Shano592's Avatar
Shano592 (Shane)
#6363

Shano592 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Coast NSW
Posts: 1,007
John, surely you can be in 2 places at once?

March is sounding good.

I too can vouch for the incredibly dark skies out at Coolah, along with the overall serenity.

Allan, you may have to start tunneling, in order to expand your wine cellar... or to have one. You may need it after this.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Boozlefoot
Registered User

Boozlefoot is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Devil's Hole Observatory
Posts: 185
As an ex-Coolah resident, please count me in. I'll have to stencil the Takahashi symbol on my "off road" dob mount first though! (PS freezer suits are probably the order of the day in March!)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Wavytone
Fringe Lunatic

Wavytone is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Killara, Sydney
Posts: 2,514
Hmm. Can a Russian Tank gatecrash - or is that plough the field ?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 AM
LewisM's Avatar
LewisM
Xenomorph

LewisM is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in the cosmos...
Posts: 6,434
At the risk of upsetting the applecart and to preserve some respect for the essence and spirit of the original founding "Tak Attack" event (and founder), may I ask that this Coolah Star Party be called just that?

Tak Attack was established for a Takahashi owner/user gatering. To now change this allowing any scope whatsoever is no longer Tak Attack.

Call it Coolah Star Party by any means, but stealing the name Tak Attack for what is now a not exclusively Takahashi event is watering it down just a touch. It's not snobbishness or clique - it's just maintaining the essence of what Tak Attack is - a gathering of Tak owner-users.

Hate that all you like, but it'd be like celebrating Easter and Christmas together, because, hey, they are all relgious events, right?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM
issdaol (Phil)
Registered User

issdaol is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
At the risk of upsetting the applecart and to preserve some respect for the essence and spirit of the original founding "Tak Attack" event (and founder), may I ask that this Coolah Star Party be called just that?

Tak Attack was established for a Takahashi owner/user gatering. To now change this allowing any scope whatsoever is no longer Tak Attack.

Call it Coolah Star Party by any means, but stealing the name Tak Attack for what is now a not exclusively Takahashi event is watering it down just a touch. It's not snobbishness or clique - it's just maintaining the essence of what Tak Attack is - a gathering of Tak owner-users.

Hate that all you like, but it'd be like celebrating Easter and Christmas together, because, hey, they are all relgious events, right?
In this instance Id have to agree......especially if the idea is to attract a larger and broader group of attendees for the event......a more general title might be better.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Kunama's Avatar
Kunama (Matt)
TakAttacksRule

Kunama is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,068
I think the title is the correct one. Not all Takahashi enthusiasts can actually afford one or find one to try out before opening their wallets.....

This is an opportunity to promote that which we all know and enthuse about!

(and an extra bottle of red never goes astray... glug glug )

Roll on TakAttack#4.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_4791.jpg)
106.3 KB31 views
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Allan's Avatar
Allan
Registered User

Allan is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 776
Nice photo Matt, you have all the main ingredients there.

I never intended this event to be a general star party, but rather a continuation of the idea first conceived by Matt, Phil and myself. It's an honour to host the continuation of that tradition, while inviting others along who may wish to observe through some of the finest Takahashi's ever made.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Kunama's Avatar
Kunama (Matt)
TakAttacksRule

Kunama is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Nice photo Matt, you have all the main ingredients there.

I never intended this event to be a general star party, but rather a continuation of the idea first conceived by Matt, Phil and myself. It's an honour to host the continuation of that tradition, while inviting others along who may wish to observe through some of the finest Takahashi's ever made.
I think the picture has all bases covered Allan Amazing how enjoyable a banana lounge, pair of binoculars and some coffee and port can be

Hopefully the Weather Gods will play ball..... (if not, then there's always April ...)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14-11-2017, 02:35 PM
issdaol (Phil)
Registered User

issdaol is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I think the picture has all bases covered Allan Amazing how enjoyable a banana lounge, pair of binoculars and some coffee and port can be

Hopefully the Weather Gods will play ball..... (if not, then there's always April ...)
That picture had a bottle of wine in it as well ...although will one bottle of Red be enough !!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I think the title is the correct one. Not all Takahashi enthusiasts can actually afford one or find one to try out before opening their wallets.....

This is an opportunity to promote that which we all know and enthuse about!

(and an extra bottle of red never goes astray... glug glug )

Roll on TakAttack#4.....
Looking at the size comparison... I wonder what would happen if you mounted the FOA inside the TSA? Higher aperture longer focal ratio planetary scope!?!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 01:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Tasco Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Atik 16200
Advertisement
FLI Cameras and Imaging Accessories
Advertisement
Meade Instruments
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Star Discovery
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement