Old 03-11-2017, 02:20 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Borg 90FL review

For anyone interested,
Here's a relatively detailed & objective review of the Borg 90FL:
http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Borg90FL.htm
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM
castor

Indeed. It is just about my perfect scope, something that I could take overseas at a moment's notice (on a camera tripod even) and set up in next to no time.

I received an unexpected windfall this week, and am thinking about completing my astronomical collection. The Borg 107FL is tempting though. It is about a kilogram heavier, and perhaps still portable enough for my liking.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:00 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Castor,
I agree with the Reviewer about the helical focuser - it's well machined and very smooth, but for imaging I think it needs a motorisable crayford. I added a FTF 'borg', which is a fair bit heavier than the helical F. The fine focus knob on the FTF is also an advantage for high power visual.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 AM
nicosk (Nicos)

The hole in the threaded cap is not 80mm but actually 82mm and is there specifically for users to screw on the 82mm IDAS Solar Filter - a very thoughtful touch.

I had this scope myself but re-homed it as I prefer slower focal ratios for visual observing. But the scope is incredibly light and definitely airline friendly. I had mine fitted with the 2" FTF and it was a joy to use.

The Borg 107mm would the the pinnacle though, a 4"+ refractor in a very portable form factor. Again, airline friendly.

Caveat: I only do visual and very light solar and lunar imaging when there is an eclipse event..