Old 23-10-2017, 10:59 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

DSO imaging telescope

Hi,

My main interest in astronomy is DSO photography, and for that i bought a mount to go with it, not a high end or top level one, but it is adequate and more than enough for a while, and the camera is also done, but only a telescope is missing.

So what is your recommendation about an APO triplet telescope to be used for AP?

First i want to see your choices or recommendations then later i can give my options if they are matching yours or different, budget is limited, but i won't buy the cheapest one out there anyway, Takahashi and similar top makers are out of reach for sure.
Old 23-10-2017, 11:49 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Welcome Tareq

Getting into astrophotography is both pleasure and pain, sometimes the gear just wont co-operate with each other but when it all comes together the results can be very pleasing. Do you have dark skies that you can access easilly, some of the light pollution maps of your area show a lot of skyglow in the area.
As for telescopes, if you really want a triplet apo to start with, a good one would be the 80mm or 100mm or 127mm Explore Scientific scopes. Do you have any telescope dealers in the UAE or would you have to import. The Skywatcher Espirit series is also good value.Also, what camera would you be using to image with.
Others may add more brands, of which there are many, as you probably know if you've been window shopping online already.
Good luck with your ventures in imaging, it can be fun.
Old 24-10-2017, 12:30 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Welcome Tareq

Getting into astrophotography is both pleasure and pain, sometimes the gear just wont co-operate with each other but when it all comes together the results can be very pleasing. Do you have dark skies that you can access easilly, some of the light pollution maps of your area show a lot of skyglow in the area.
As for telescopes, if you really want a triplet apo to start with, a good one would be the 80mm or 100mm or 127mm Explore Scientific scopes. Do you have any telescope dealers in the UAE or would you have to import. The Skywatcher Espirit series is also good value.Also, what camera would you be using to image with.
Others may add more brands, of which there are many, as you probably know if you've been window shopping online already.
Good luck with your ventures in imaging, it can be fun.
Hi Jeff,

Well, i know about the pain and the pleasure i will face if i get into this field, and i accepted the challenge, and i have t live with whatever i face, at the end the joy or pleasure of seeing decent results will wipe out any pain later.

I don't know if we have any dark skies nearby, but we have maybe by desert which is way way miles away from me and i will never drive for that, so i will only depend on my urban or my house's yard, and for light pollution issue all told me to go narrowbanding, so this is what i will do or i am doing, red zone at least so there is slight hope anyway.

Yes, i got those recommendations too, i was more thinking about Skywatcher and Stellarvue, I don't want Explorer Scientific brand, i prefer to go with FPL-53 over FCD-100 of ES one.

I was thinking about 80mm only as many recommended me this, but someone has Esprit 100mm and advised me to just pass that 80mm and go with 100mm, so i am not sure if i should look at 80mm or 100mm? i can't buy both, and i see many upgrade from 80mm to anywhere from 100 up to 120mm, so i feel that 80mm is mostly for beginner, but also with 100mm i can use a reducer if i want wider than 100mm, so i didn't decide which FL i should start or go with, i don't like to upgrade any soon which sounds i do most of the time if i don't have the one i desire due to budget or recommendations by others.

We have a dealer in my country, but this dealer is like a blade or a knife on an injury, they never have good prices, i cal always buy cheaper online than from them, also they don't have a lot of items we need, and if i ask them to import it for me then i will end up paying like %40-80 of the price online, so i just pass them and never look at them, i bought all my current equipment of astro from online, if i will buy the same in my country from any dealer available then i will end up paying nearly %75 more, for example i spent nearly $4000 let's say, the same items in my country will cost me nearly $6000-7000, i will never wonder if it will reach even %100.
Old 24-10-2017, 12:41 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I'd suggest something in the 100 mm range as an imaging scope, the ST80mm becomes your guide scope. 100mm is a good option of price and performance and there are many to choose from.

And welcome to IIS. We can spend your money faster than you can ...

Brent
Old 24-10-2017, 10:53 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
I'd suggest something in the 100 mm range as an imaging scope, the ST80mm becomes your guide scope. 100mm is a good option of price and performance and there are many to choose from.

And welcome to IIS. We can spend your money faster than you can ...

Brent
Don't worry about my ST80, it have a place in my equipment

Then i should look at 100mm triplet and pass of 80mm.

I already spent a lot, and there things waiting me to spend on them, so you are late

Thanks Brent!
Old 26-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Wavytone

Gone cold on the idea of a planetary visual scope, huh ?

Photography is a never-ending arms-race in respect of the equipment. You really need one of these https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.08776.pdf to be cutting edge
Old 26-10-2017, 07:51 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Gone cold on the idea of a planetary visual scope, huh ?

Photography is a never-ending arms-race in respect of the equipment. You really need one of these https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.08776.pdf to be cutting edge
No, not gone cold, but it is separate approach, i will buy a scope for DSO and i will buy another scope for planetary visual/imaging, so i am gone cold with each.

Not another sheets and docs with equations and mathematics, i will never spend time reading those analysis and then decide, i just buy and use