Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Solanum

Canon - a cautionary tale & a happy ending

I recently did something very stupid and attempted to clean the sensor of my 350D with canned air. There was visible marks on some pictures from dust on the sensor so it needed doing. The canned air I used specifically states for photographic use and was bought from a camera shop. I tested the canned air on the camera body and on a window and didn't see any solvent residue. So I sprayed it into the body, a good couple of inches from the sensor surface. Disaster! Residue all over the sensor, must be something to do with the sensor surface.

DON'T USE CANNED AIR TO CLEAN YOUR DSLR SENSOR!!!!

On the plus side, I actually contacted Canon and sent it through their service centre as I didn't want to risk destroying the CCD by cleaning it myself. The service was excellent, not only have they cleaned the sensor up, but they've cleaned up the whole camera body. Looks like new. They quoted me before doing the work and didn't charge me until it was finished - they actually phoned me.

Last edited by Solanum; 05-05-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Mixed up dates....
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Wow – what a lucky escape! Thanks for posting this important information and I’m so glad that it all worked out in the end.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Suzy_A

I've had similar problems with cans of compressed stuff. I found that if I squirt away from the lens (or whatever) first and then direct the stream to the lens (or whatever), then the gunk doesn't appear.

So I'm not sure what this means - whether the gunk builds up in the nozzle due to some residue absorbing moisture or something like that???

I don't use the stuff on the sensor however, as I'm not sure if the blast - either direct or after a start-up - is safe for the camera anyway. I think that the sudden blast may knock things about, so I only use it on 'solid' things like the lens surface.

For cleaning the sensor, I just use a 'lens pen' type of thing. A few people have recommended the 'Artic Butterfly' cleaning kit.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
MikeyB (Michael)

'Canned air' isn't!

Gas Duster