Old 21-02-2015, 07:44 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Software for merging NB with dslr images

Hi all

I took some dslr regular and o3 nb and can't find a way to blend them in ps. This is mainly due to a slightly different rotation between them. I had a go in dss but that was messy.
Any ideas please, I'll be keen to know I'm sure nb imagers must have to deal with this all the time!

Clear skies

Rusty
Old 21-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Align them in Dss 1st, blending non aligned images won't work.
Old 21-02-2015, 08:19 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

While it's much better to align the images in DSS, or whatever you use to stack, you can do it in PS.
You can just paste the NB image on a layer above your colour image and set its transparency to 50%. Then use the transform tool on the NB layer. If I ever do this my technique is to find a star in one corner of the image and drag the rotate pivot of the transform tool over it. Then I align that star with the corresponding star in the colour layer. Then you can rotate the NB image until all the other stars line up.

If the scale is slightly off you'll need to adjust the scale using the transform tool too.

Does that make sense...?
Old 21-02-2015, 08:36 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

There is a program called Registar that will align pictures taken with different filters or even telescopes. That's the one I usually use to stitch mosaics. It's easy to use and does a very good job.
Old 21-02-2015, 08:38 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Thanks Fred and Hugh I'll try dss again.
By aligning in dss do you mean aligning the rgb stack with the o3 stack, or all at once?

Thanks hugh I'll check out the transform tool too I was trying the straighten tool but it would only rotate the entire image (not the selected layer).

Russ
Old 21-02-2015, 08:49 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Thanks Fred and Hugh I'll try dss again.
By aligning in dss do you mean aligning the rgb stack with the o3 stack, or all at once?

Thanks hugh I'll check out the transform tool too I was trying the straighten tool but it would only rotate the entire image (not the selected layer).

Russ
In DSS you can choose which image is the one that all the others are registered against (you can right-click and choose, I think it's the first option from memory).
So when you stack the O3 images just bring in the one that was used to register the colour images, turn it off so it's not included in the stack, and then choose it as the anchor for registering.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:00 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
There is a program called Registar that will align pictures taken with different filters or even telescopes. That's the one I usually use to stitch mosaics. It's easy to use and does a very good job.
thanks Marc, i couldn't get DSS to work, so it seems registar might be the go in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
In DSS you can choose which image is the one that all the others are registered against (you can right-click and choose, I think it's the first option from memory).
So when you stack the O3 images just bring in the one that was used to register the colour images, turn it off so it's not included in the stack, and then choose it as the anchor for registering.
thanks again Hugh, i couldn't get it to work but will try next time i have frames more closely aligned. i did use the PS method you described though so thanks again.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
thanks Marc, i couldn't get DSS to work, so it seems registar might be the go in the future.
Link is here.