Old 13-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

what accessories do I need

I've just purchased a Skywatcher 102/1000 achromat with an EQ3, Im a bit unsure as to what accessories I need (not what are nice to have) for planetary viewing, and I also want to replace the eye pieces (10mm and 25mm supers)eventually with something decent that isn't too expensive.
Any thoughts?
Old 13-11-2017, 04:17 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

a decent barlow will probably be sufficient for now.
Old 13-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

This scope should be capable of providing decent views and may well justify the expense of buying some Televue Plossl EPs.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product-ca...elevue/plossl/

However, if Andrews Communications still has these in stock, the following Skywatcher EPs are a considerable improvement on the SuperPlossl EPs provided with your scope and are budget priced.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/optical-telescopes

Skywatcher 1.25" Plossl eyepieces - limited stock
Type
Price $(AUD)
6.3mm, 7.5mm and 10mm, 12.5mm, 17mm, 20mm, and 25mm
$29.00 each
Old 14-11-2017, 10:08 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

What you have is the same as my first serious telescope after years of cheap ( all I could afford ) telescopes and was amazed at the quality of the views for the price so if I were you I would save my money and enjoy what these scopes are capable of .

First up a 2x Barlow from Bintel . Then some Supervue,s from either Andrews or Bintel , full set starting with the 15mm and then a 2nd hand 2inch diagonal from the classifieds here too use the larger 2 inch SV,s .

Just take your time and get these things one at a time and it won't be long until you have a better ( what you have now is a great start ) observing set up.

Yes. Barlow first then the 1 1/4 SV,s , 2 inch diagonal then to. 2 inch SV,s
,it doesn't take long.

Brian.
Old 20-11-2017, 05:01 AM
Mick1 (Mick)
Mick

What accessories do I need

thanks for everyone's advice, yes I'm going to save my pennies and gradually build up some equipment.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick1 View Post
I've just purchased a Skywatcher 102/1000 achromat with an EQ3, Im a bit unsure as to what accessories I need (not what are nice to have) for planetary viewing, and I also want to replace the eye pieces (10mm and 25mm supers)eventually with something decent that isn't too expensive.
Any thoughts?
Congratulations on the new scope.

I always encourage people to post a link to what they own so we can be sure we know what you are asking about.

If the 10 and 25 mm are super Plossls, they are pretty good eyepieces so no need to quickly replace them.

A 2X barlow would also be my recommendation to get you 4 magnifications for the lowest cost.

Now you say "not too expensive" What does that mean? $100 per eyepiece? $200 per eyepiece? How about some budget guidence. Also do you have a perferred place to purchase from? Bintel seems to be the popular recommendation.

I am a huge fan of zoom eyepieces. I have the Celestron 8-24 zoom and the Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom. These are now my main eyepieces getting more focuser time than all my other eyepieces combined.

In your scope that would give you 41X to 123X and everything in between
Drop it in a 2X barlow and you have 82X to 246X and everything in between. Anything over about 200X will be reserved for those special nights when atmospheric conditions are extraordinary. The Moon and planets would be exceptional at 246X

Lower Budget Zoom – Celestron 8-24 mm – This was my first zoom. – Good quality and very versatile. If your eyepiece kit is made up of RKE, Modified Achromat, Kellner and Plossl type eyepeices and your budget is around $60 or less per eyepiece then this would probably be a good one for you to consider as it will replace 3-4 single FL eyepieces. Review link is provided below.
http://agenaastro.com/celestron-8-24...-eyepiece.html

Higher Budget Premium Zoom – I have since upgraded to the Baader Hyperion 8-24 mm Zoom. If your eyepiece budget is $120 per eyepiece or higher then consider the highly recommend Baader Hyperion Mark IV Click Stop 8-24 Zoom as it will replace 3-4 single FL eyepieces. Review of the earlier Mark III is provided below.
http://agenaastro.com/baader-8-24mm-...e-2454826.html

• I never expected the zoom eyepiece to become my primary eyepiece, but it has.
  • The Celestron 8-24 zoom is good and comparable to my Plossl eyepieces ($65)
  • The Baader Hyperion is great and comparable to my Explore Scientific eyepieces ( $289)
  • Watching doubles split as I rotate the barrel is wonderful
  • One filter serves over a wide range of magnifications, no screwing and unscrewing to try other eyepieces
  • Moving smoothly from and between small changes in magnification helps when seeing is not the best
  • I am always working at the optimum magnification for this target.
  • Sharing the view with others is easier, especially in my manual tracking Dob - I hand it over at low mag so it stays in the view longer. They zoom back in to whatever magnification works best for them.
  • My eyepiece case has been greatly simplified
  • Kids love the zoom

Baader Hyperian Mark III Clickstop zoom review
http://www.weasner.com/co/Reviews/20...ece/index.html

zoom eyepiece review – Includes the Celestron zoom
http://www.chuckhawks.com/comparison_zoom_eyepieces.htm