Old 16-08-2017, 03:59 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Skysafari Pro 5

I did see this section until I had posted in the regular software forum: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=160237

Yes Skysafari pro is great but is 5 pro $62 better than 4 Pro?

Chris
Old 16-08-2017, 07:37 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Hmm. Dunno. I went from 4 plus straight to 5 pro when there was a deal on (for my mobile then later on an ipad). So never had 4 pro. Whatever - 5 pro is great. But stuff like the galaxy zoon is clunky and often crashes.
Old 16-08-2017, 05:15 PM
astro744

It's been on sale at around 50% off twice the past year. I believe version 6 is pending. I think I paid $30.99 a few months ago and I had V4 pro before. V5 pro is Ok but nothing spectacular over V4 pro that is worth the $31 let alone the $63! I still prefer printed charts anyway as any electronic device is just too bright and too small for me. I would though love to see SkyTools for iOS but only on a larger screen as I find this program more useful.

Last edited by astro744; 17-08-2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo
Old 16-08-2017, 08:38 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

I went from 4pro to 5pro the other week when the deal was on. The audio stuff on major objects is nice. A backward step is you cannot tap on Tonight's Best and have the list pop straight up, instead you have to reselect from a pop up menu every time. I use Tonights Best a lot and can see myself firing up 4Pro again to return to how I like it. Not a compelling upgrade.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:14 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro744 View Post
It's been on sale at around 50% off twice the past year. I believe version 6 is pending. I think I paid $30.99 a few months ago and I had V4 pro before. V5 pro is Ok but nothing spectacular over V4 pro that is worth the $31 let alone the $63! I still prefer printed charts anyway as any electronic device is just too bright and too small for me. I would though love to see SkyTools for iOS but only on a larger screen as I find this program more useful.
I tried searching for version 6 to see if it was found the corner but nothing came up.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:15 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsShed View Post
I went from 4pro to 5pro the other week when the deal was on. The audio stuff on major objects is nice. A backward step is you cannot tap on Tonight's Best and have the list pop straight up, instead you have to reselect from a pop up menu every time. I use Tonights Best a lot and can see myself firing up 4Pro again to return to how I like it. Not a compelling upgrade.
I was using 5 pro on my phone initially (iPhone 6+) but now I have it on an old iPad and it is miles better.
Old 15-10-2017, 06:32 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I'm using SkySafari 5 plus on both my mac and iPad. It's a nice tool, although it seems to be missing some interesting objects.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:12 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
I'm using SkySafari 5 plus on both my mac and iPad. It's a nice tool, although it seems to be missing some interesting objects.
Does miss a few ..Even skyportal version of it misses NGC 2808, one of the best GLOBS...
Though I love it for doubles etc.
Can use Compass mode as a manual goto system... .as explained here.
https://www.space.com/33876-skysafari-five.html.VERY HANDY .
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 11-01-2018 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add
Old 12-01-2018, 05:44 AM
mozzie (Peter)

I'm still using V3pro to star hop.And as big joe was saying it has a compass made to use as a goto ??? Just how accurate would it be hummmm...

Remember the old celestron sky scout trying to use those to star hop they never really worked..But technology has changed

Can someone do a report on the accuracy of the compass mode please
Maybe time to update

Mozzie