Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2020, 05:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Saturn animation

I did a animated GIF of 13 x 5min loop stacks on Saturn at: http://www.astropic.net/astro/saturn_anim.gif. Problem is that I don't see much spinning going on.

Questions. Did I go a little too hard on the processing or there's not much details (that's an IR filter) to see because of seeing, possibly focus?

I've attached one still as well to check.

Thanks for any tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (saturn_anim.jpg)
56.5 KB52 views
Old 09-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Marc

Looks good to me, I can't see any issues with focus.

I think you are always at the mercy of the seeing conditions for these high resolution images and animations.

I think there are fewer distinct features on Saturn, so rotational movement is more challenging to perceive, even though it is similar to that of Jupiter, some 9 or 10 hours.

Great shots, I'd be very happy with those results.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 10-09-2020, 10:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yeah... it was disappointing. I wonder if 5min is too long for saturn. I'll try harder with the focus and tracking. Even the inner and outer rings are not separating as clearly as the shots I see online.

Quick question on AS!3. The way it ranks subs. On a good run I might typically get half the subs above the 50% line. One particular run I had almost all close to 80% then a sharp drop at the end so was able to stack the majority of frames. So does it rank subs relative to each other or does it have a "gold" standard to grade against (like a FWHM for deepsky). I mean if I get close to 90% on a run it could be that I have 90% average and 10% extremely bad ones right? It's not an indication of the quality of the run.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:42 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Yeah... it was disappointing. I wonder if 5min is too long for saturn. I'll try harder with the focus and tracking. Even the inner and outer rings are not separating as clearly as the shots I see online.

Quick question on AS!3. The way it ranks subs. On a good run I might typically get half the subs above the 50% line. One particular run I had almost all close to 80% then a sharp drop at the end so was able to stack the majority of frames. So does it rank subs relative to each other or does it have a "gold" standard to grade against (like a FWHM for deepsky). I mean if I get close to 90% on a run it could be that I have 90% average and 10% extremely bad ones right? It's not an indication of the quality of the run.
Hi Marc

I can't really answer your question, as I haven't plumbed the technical depths of AS3!.

I just assumed it measure the average of your particular batch of frames and then used that average to determine those above or below the line?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Marc

I can't really answer your question, as I haven't plumbed the technical depths of AS3!.

I just assumed it measure the average of your particular batch of frames and then used that average to determine those above or below the line?

Cheers

Dennis
You're correct. I'm just watching this video that has a lot of really good info.