Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Jupiter and moon

Spend 4h outside last night doing some more "training" for planetary imaging. Set up the camping table next to the pier this time so direct short USB to camera. No drop out
Also barlowed the scope ~x3 so that gives me over 6m but not sure yet.

I imaged Jupiter and one of its moon transit. Still have to process a lot of SER files. I have 100GB copying from the lappie to the PC right now. I did 180s on each panel which is ~1600 frames. Here's one of them.

Then I did a lot of saturn until the moon got up.

I only did one panel process for the moon. As I barlowed the scope I'm trying to figure out my fov size and image scale. Does anyone know what crater this is? It wasn't too far from the terminator. Then I can work the field size. tia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon_205409_lapl5_ap548_conv.jpg)
70.8 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (Moon_232948_lapl5_ap4433_convg.jpg)
185.2 KB42 views

Last edited by multiweb; 06-09-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Spend 4h outside last night doing some more "training" for planetary imaging. Set up the camping table next to the pier this time so direct short USB to camera. No drop out
Also barlowed the scope ~x3 so that gives me over 6m but not sure yet.

I imaged Jupiter and one of its moon transit. Still have to process a lot of SER files. I have 100GB copying from the lappie to the PC right now. I did 180s on each panel which is ~1600 frames. Here's one of them.

Then I did a lot of saturn until the moon got up.

I only did one panel process for the moon. As I barlowed the scope I'm trying to figure out my fov size and image scale. Does anyone know what crater this is? It wasn't too far from the terminator. Then I can work the field size. tia.

PS: Found it I think. Theophilus?
Approximate sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CN-212_FFC_ASI120MM.jpg)
198.0 KB21 views

Last edited by multiweb; 06-09-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:53 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Here's an animation I did of Jupiter: http://www.astropic.net/astro/jup_anim_b.gif
Old 07-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Excellent work, and a great animation too!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Nice work Marc, did you notice in the animation that after the Io shadow starts crossing the disc, that Ganymede also starts to transit at top left, also as Callisto is about to pass behind Jupiter on the right hand side of the planet.
I was out doing much the same targets about the same time but no animation. Also Theophilus is one of my favourite areas on Lunar and imaged it that night as well. Not trying to intrude on your post but this is mine from that session.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20200905 21_14_27 .jpg)
13.4 KB20 views
Click for full-size image (20200906 03_24_12.jpg)
132.7 KB13 views
Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Excellent work, and a great animation too!
Thanks Andrew. I went through most of the tut videos and starting to tweak capture parameters and other things. So much to learn. Focusing is still a challenge for me. It's hit and miss still, not 100% happy with it. Too reliant on the Bath mask for deepsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Nice work Marc, did you notice in the animation that after the Io shadow starts crossing the disc, that Ganymede also starts to transit at top left, also as Callisto is about to pass behind Jupiter on the right hand side of the planet.
I was out doing much the same targets about the same time but no animation. Also Theophilus is one of my favourite areas on Lunar and imaged it that night as well. Not trying to intrude on your post but this is mine from that session.
Thanks Jeff. All good mate, no worries at all. I love to see the same stuff done and compare, even better on the same night. That gives me ideas on doing things differently too and it's great to see people different takes on the same objects. I actually only noticed Ganymede after seeing it in Kev's super sharp color anim. I thought it was a bright storm on jup on my blurrier anim but it was getting darker. I thought that was a bit weird. lol. I did an annotated version this morning after checking Stellarium: http://www.astropic.net/astro/jup_anim_b_txt.gif

Getting there with the craters names and the processing. Finding a rythm now with settings and workflow that seem to work. I probably over sharpen stuff still or under process it depending on the light. I've been shooting a lot of random stuff still trying to process as best as I can but I'm close to actually start picking what I want to image now.

Tonight should be clear and the red spot is facing us so I'm hoping to get out and get a better finer photo. Maybe try to focus better too. Supposed to rain Wednesday. I want to see if I can flat field the video as well. I get annoying dust donuts on the filter I think.