Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2019, 08:17 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Stefan I am truly grateful for you fixing this Wynne Corrector. Your skills as a master telescope maker should never be doubted. Attention to detail is fantastic.

Like I have said to you before if you ever want to come and give a talk at the Astronomical Society of South Australia, you have the presidents blessing. I would personally love to hear a talk about how you analyse, plan, manufacture and construct these pieces of equipment.

Once again thank you.
All true words. Stefan is amazing.

Shouldn't have been needed though. This corrector has clearly been machined by a braille operator using an old pedal operated sewing machine as a lathe. (No offence to the vision impaired who may be reading this...) Ahem...

Fair to say OOUK produces reasonably shabby equipment frequently without any adequate QC and clearly don't even care. Hope they're online under some avatar and read this. Can't see them selling much to the online community here on IIS in future.

A lottery win for Michael S with his AG12...
Old 21-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
All true words. Stefan is amazing.

Shouldn't have been needed though. This corrector has clearly been machined by a braille operator using an old pedal operated sewing machine as a lathe. (No offence to the vision impaired who may be reading this...) Ahem...

Fair to say OOUK produces reasonably shabby equipment frequently without any adequate QC and clearly don't even care. Hope they're online under some avatar and read this. Can't see them selling much to the online community here on IIS in future.

A lottery win for Michael S with his AG12...
HI Les, I think you will find Mike did have some trouble with his corrector which was replaced or fixed. Well that is the story I heard second hand.

I agree that OOUK should do things better. They have the foundation of good scopes but don't seem to care or even apologize when things are their fault. If they picked up their game with finishes and assembly they would never have another complaint. It's not a risk I'll take again though.
Old 21-06-2019, 01:02 PM
spiezzy

mmmm I had a OOUK 10" newt a while ago and wished I did not sell it was a great scope for imaging and very well made .
I guess they went on the dark path and get things manufacture off shore now what a pitty cheaper off shore manufacturing does not pay off in the end and usually see great companies like OOUK go down the gurgler
very sad Oh well that's another one off my favorites list
Old 21-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Paul Haese

I took possession of the corrector today. The anodising looks great and the thread fits well. The internals looks very clean and tidy. Very professional looking work. I'll try to get this installed in the next week at the observatory. I'll laser beam test it before hand. I am sure it will actually work now after Stefan has been handling it.

Once again thanks Stefan for undertaking this project.
Old 21-06-2019, 06:38 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I took possession of the corrector today. The anodising looks great and the thread fits well. The internals looks very clean and tidy. Very professional looking work. I'll try to get this installed in the next week at the observatory. I'll laser beam test it before hand. I am sure it will actually work now after Stefan has been handling it.

Once again thanks Stefan for undertaking this project.
I'm sure the mechanics will be better than perfect now they've been Stefan-ised. His attention to detail is on the other side of the line of OCD.

Looking forward to your post testing analysis.
Old 28-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Paul Haese

Sorry I have not been back to report for a while but I did not have a working camera until last week. That has now been rectified and I have been testing the work on the corrector.

I can happily report that the work done by Stefan to fix the corrector appears to be successful. I still need to do some minor tweaks to collimation, spacing and tilt but there does not appear to be a problem with the corrector anymore.

The image below is of the corners and centre. This is a vast improvement upon what I was facing before. Pity OOUK did not believe me that there was something wrong with their corrector.

Thanks Stefan once again for fixing the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Corners and centre July 2019.jpg)
184.6 KB93 views
Old 28-07-2019, 11:23 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Send OOUK Stefan’s invoice. Need to keep pushing these incompetent twits Paul.
Old 28-07-2019, 08:05 PM
rbronca

That defiantly looks usable. Glad this saga is finally coming to an end.
Old 29-07-2019, 08:36 AM
gregbradley

Great result. Well done Stefan.

That looks nearly perfect.

Greg.