Old 27-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Marcus10 (Marcus)

Great nights observing

Well, it was cold tonight in Perth but worth it.

Started off with the Veil, looked beautiful with some of the filaments visible. Branching also visible quite clearly. UHC filter really brought it out and increased the contrast.

Also hunted for the central star of the Dumbell Nebula. Tried searching with both the UHC and OIII but realised eventually that I had a better view of the stars across the face of the Dumbell with no filter. Saw the central star at m13.8 I believe surrounded by a small dark area and then the nebula proper.

Comet C/2009 P1 Garadd also visible near to M71 as it moves forward. Nice sight.

*yawn, off to sleep now. Night all.
Old 27-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Nice! Which filter was more useful?
Old 27-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Marcus10 (Marcus)

I think the veil nebula responds very well to OIII. Only problem is that viewing it with the 31mm T5 needs a 2inch filter of which I only have UHC. Using it on a 1 1/4inch 13mm with the OIII brought out more detail in the structure of the nebulosity but then you can't see as much of the nebula. Hmm, might have to pass some more dollars across to Bintel...
Old 27-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Marcus, thanks for sharing your report.
I have a few pn's to grab myself once the weather decides to clear, and the Dumbell Neb is one of them.
Old 27-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Marcus10 (Marcus)

Over here in Perth it has only just started being clear at night after a long period of many weeks of rain - so I'm making the most of it. I'll pray to the weather gods for you!
Old 28-08-2011, 09:49 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

There were a few obs of the Veil at BSG over the weekend. I know Paddy managed some great views with the 16". I cannot remember if he used any filters (I am a bit brain dead ATM!).

Malcolm
Old 29-08-2011, 09:33 AM
vanwonky (Dave)

Hi Marcus - thanks for that report. I was out last night for a while and yes it was cool in Perth! Unfortunately I was working on technical issues with the scope rather than proper observing.

I often wonder if the obs report thread would benefit by breaking it into regions or cities. I know as a newbie in Perth it is good to hear what people are able to see through the light pollution here and whether it is my bad viewing skills or just that you can't see a certain object others can because of LP. Of course it depends where in the Perth area you are as far as LP goes but I think from North Perth I am missing a fair bit.

I guess after a while I might know who posts from Perth anyway so it could work that way.
Cheers
Dave
Old 29-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks for the report Marcus. Sounds like it was a great night. I used both OII and UHC filters for the Veil nebula at BSG the other night. the Night sky Observer's guide recommended OIII so I started with it and it did give very good fine views. It still looked stunning with UHC, only different. to my eye it looked significantly wider, especially the Whip part, but still with intriguing and elegant dark lanes and folds. I liked both views equally really, but they were different.

Dave, I think the reports section wouldn't cope with being split, but maybe we could focus on putting the observing location in the title.