Old 27-06-2013, 08:27 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Double Cruxed

Spent a short time out last night after work with my 6" refractor on the new to me NEQ6. Nice and stable what a great mount. Pentax 7mm XW and 9mm ES 100º with a Baader Semi APO filter was used, 11:30pm to 12:30 am. Seeing was pretty average, if that so I decided to look at the stars that make up the Southern Cross, and Pointers. I don't know about anyone else but have always looked at the 'pretty' stuff in and around, and there is plenty of that up there, but never at the actual stars themselves.
Earlier this year I split Sirius for the first time and that got me a bit more into double stars. To the Crux. Gacrux a beautiful combo, not a real double I read but a visual double...still looks nice! Onto Becrux beautiful, not to be side tracked to the Jewel Box sweep over to Delta Crusis...not a double....a bit of a let down, Acrux another twin set. Looked at the Pointers Hadar and Alpha Centauri. Need to spend a bit more on Hadar next time an interesting double.
An interesting short session. Why is Delta Crusis not called Decrux?
Matt

Last edited by MattT; 27-06-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 27-06-2013, 10:13 AM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Or Upsilon Crux, what would that be?

Sorry, sorry, could not resist

Cheers
Old 27-06-2013, 06:37 PM
cfranks (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Matt
It is. TheSkyX accepts that name but I'm not sure what catalogue it uses for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Decrux.JPG)
39.8 KB16 views
Old 27-06-2013, 06:44 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Spent a short time out last night after work with my 6" refractor on the new to me NEQ6. Nice and stable what a great mount. Pentax 7mm XW and 9mm ES 100º with a Baader Semi APO filter was used, 11:30pm to 12:30 am. Seeing was pretty average, if that so I decided to look at the stars that make up the Southern Cross, and Pointers. I don't know about anyone else but have always looked at the 'pretty' stuff in and around, and there is plenty of that up there, but never at the actual stars themselves.
Earlier this year I split Sirius for the first time and that got me a bit more into double stars. To the Crux. Gacrux a beautiful combo, not a real double I read but a visual double...still looks nice! Onto Becrux beautiful, not to be side tracked to the Jewel Box sweep over to Delta Crusis...not a double....a bit of a let down, Acrux another twin set. Looked at the Pointers Hadar and Alpha Cetauri. Need to spend a bit more on Hadar next time an interesting double.
Matt
Those abreviations are only lazy ways to say the names properly.
I never use them myself,
Cheers
Old 27-06-2013, 10:25 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

That makes sense now! Thanks for that. Should have read the info on Sky Safari a bit closer. Southern Stars give the full name, including what I always knew Hadar as... Beta Centauri.
Old 28-06-2013, 07:50 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Earlier this year I split Sirius for the first time and that got me a bit more into double stars. To the Crux. Gacrux a beautiful combo, not a real double I read but a visual double...still looks nice! Onto Becrux beautiful, not to be side tracked to the Jewel Box sweep over to Delta Crusis...not a double....a bit of a let down, Acrux another twin set. Looked at the Pointers Hadar and Alpha Centauri. Need to spend a bit more on Hadar next time an interesting double.
Matt
That's an area I visit quite often ...and Omega Centauri is nearby.
The Jewel Box has some nice colors in it...I can see what appears to me as a ' orange colored ' star near the middle....I am assuming that this is not a very hot star.....possibly a Main Sequence Star....much like our Sun.
A nice area to ' pan ' around for general enjoyment...I was using my TeleVue Pronto / 19mm Panoptic and a TMB 40mm Paragon Series Eyepiece.

Flash......
Old 28-06-2013, 08:21 AM
mikerr (Michael)

Matt, did you spot Ruby Crucis a couple of minutes West of Mimosa (Beta Crucis)? A beautiful Ruby Red Carbon star.

Michael.