Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 31-03-2015, 10:53 AM
AstroNikkor (Enzo)

Focusing QHY5L-II Mono with WO 50mm guide scope

Hi,
I am new to guided imaging and have just bought a QHY5L-II Mono to use with the WO 50mm straight-through guidescope that will be mounted on my WO ZS71mm refractor, for the life of me I can't get an image to focus on the guide scope. All I see is a white screen on EZPlanetary if I point it a light source. I have tried moving the QHY5L-II in and out of the end of the 50mm but there is no image. Do I have to adjust the focuser on the 50mm as well? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 AM
kosh

Hi enzo,
You'll find these cameras are very sensitive. When I bought mine, I found the focus at night, pointed out the window at a distant light, or even better, when you are set up outside.
Alternatively, I think you can change the gain in the drivers. Maybe turn it right down if using a bright light.
Also, you may need to vary the position of the camera in the guidescope barrel in conjunction with the focus ring at the front of the guidescope to achieve focus. Once you've found it, use the focus ring you probably received with the camera to "save" the focus position on the camera.

Goran.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:02 PM
vlazg (George)

Try placing a piece of tin foil with a small hole in the centre over the aperture of the guidescope, the gain might be too high
George
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM
NeilW

Hi Enzo,

There's a post on IIS that I can't locate at the moment with regard to QHY5 and Orion ST-80 guidescope, but the result seems that the QHY needs a lot of backfocus. With the ST-80 and an Orion extension tube the QHY will only focus with the focus tube fully wound out.

Try an extension or a diagonal with your 50mm and see how you get on.

Regards,
Old 02-04-2015, 03:32 PM
NeilW

Found the link... http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ght=Orion+ST80

I know you're using a 50mm guidescope, but the gist of the posts is that you need a fqir bit of extension to get the QHY to focus.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:59 PM
AstroNikkor (Enzo)

Thanks for all the tips, I have managed to get it to focus finally, and using the 1.24 inch extension tube helps, managed to get PHD2 and guiding working for the very first time last week!