Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM
kens (Ken)

Another PHD2 Polar Alignment Tool

The latest dev5 version of PHD2 now includes two new PA tools: Static PA (SPA) and Polar Drift. The traditional Drift Alignment is the most accurate whilst the Polar Drift is very simple and SPA is fast. The two*new ones align in the polar region rather than at the equator so may not be suitable for everyone.*

SPA has been around for a few dev releases whilst Polar Drift has just been released. Polar Drift is particularly useful if you want to align in the polar region but your polar alignment is a long way off e.g. due to a new setup. I use the tools as follows:

Do a rough manual alignment
Point the scope near the pole (home position for a GEM)
Launch PHD2 and start the Polar Drift tool from Tools > Polar Drift Alignment
Select a convenient guide star and click Start
Wait until the "lollipop" settles down then click stop
You can read the PAE on the status line and adjust the guide star into the circle at the end of the lollipop (see attachment)

Once within about 10 arcmin I switch to SPA

In SPA it is important for the scope to be pointing accurately at the pole so the alignment stars are visible. For northerners Polaris is normally an easy target. In the south thinags are a bit harder so I proceed as follows:
Clear any star alignment/ sky model sync points from the mount - these can throw out the alignment process
Start the SPA tool from Tools > Static Polar Alignment
If the alignment stars are not visible, I pick any star and start the alignment.
Ignore the adjustments and see if the centre of rotation (CoR) is in the FOV. If not, slew carefully in declination only to bring the CoR into the FOV.
If the previous Polar Drift was reasonably successful the alignment stars should become visible in the FOV
Then I follow the normal SPA process.
Select an identified alignment star
Start the SPA process. If I have any problems I revert to the manual mode and slew manually
Adjust according to the on screen display

Once I'm within 5 arc minutes I confirm with a regular drift alignment and fine tune
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Polar Drift 3.jpg)
113.5 KB70 views