Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2019, 05:25 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

The strange time lags involved in importing goods

I recently purchased some equipment (non-astro) from a supplier in the US mid-west (Missouri in fact). Shipped the next day bu USPS and then spent 4 days wandering between various aggregating centers in Lousiana, Chicago and Los Angeles. OK fair enough. Another 4 days and it arrived in Brisbane. That's about 90 km away for me.
And then, we get the Australia factor. It has taken 4 days to get from one facility to another somewhere in Brisbane and then another 5 days I don't know where.

In summary: thus far, it has taken longer to travel that last 90 km than it did to travel from Missouri to Brisbane. And it still isn't here.

Go figure!!

Peter
Old 13-03-2019, 05:35 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Shameful that is .....
Old 13-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

The last 2 times I have ordered green coffee beans to roast, they have gone from Lane Cove in Sydney, to Chullora (NSW), to Sunshine West (VIC), to Chullora again, then to my local.

If AusPost want some advice on where to cut some wastage, I have a thought. Well, several... but one that might help them...
Old 13-03-2019, 06:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Here, hold my beer, my latest AusPost gripe.

Mate sends parcel from Kingaroy to me here in Cannotberra. Left Monday, 5th. Arrives Cannotberra, Friday 8th. out for delivery at 11:36am. Driver decides parcel is mis-addressed (even though the Kingaroy mate has been sending me stuff for ever...), and proceeds to deliver it to someone else a whole half of the ACT away...said person thankfully brings it back to AusPost, who, instead of trying to re-deliver, return it to sender. After talking to AusPost on the phone, was told the driver simply marked it as incorrect address, then marked it as delivered in another suburb...even though no even similar street names are in that suburb! The issue is the morons have to walk all of 50 metres to deliver, and seeing they are on a supposed tight schedule, will either simply mark as incorrect address, or return it to the depot and LATER card it (had this issue previously).

So, it arrives in Kingaroy tomorrow. AusPost is aware of this incompetent moron delivery guy (including my post-mistress, who has the same issue!), and have told me that the sender will be able to resend FREE.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:21 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I recently purchased some equipment (non-astro) from a supplier in the US mid-west (Missouri in fact). Shipped the next day bu USPS and then spent 4 days wandering between various aggregating centers in Lousiana, Chicago and Los Angeles. OK fair enough. Another 4 days and it arrived in Brisbane. That's about 90 km away for me.
And then, we get the Australia factor. It has taken 4 days to get from one facility to another somewhere in Brisbane and then another 5 days I don't know where.

In summary: thus far, it has taken longer to travel that last 90 km than it did to travel from Missouri to Brisbane. And it still isn't here.

Go figure!!

Peter
Peter, there is a big difference between USPS International and USPS International Priority. If your given a choice, pick Priority.
Old 14-03-2019, 04:45 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Peter, there is a big difference between USPS International and USPS International Priority. If your given a choice, pick Priority.
I did. They call it priority mail international and charged 100 US or so for the service. And still no sign of it.