Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Ian Robinson

Anyone using their old camera lens on the canon DSLR ?

I've a stack of lenses that I accumulated over many years to use with my venerable Minolta XD5 SLR.

I'd like to use some of these on the new Canon 40D , if I can do this successfully then I can same stacks of $ , and my old lenses are very nice and in great nick, and have been looking around at the what is available.

Found this http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/mounts.htm

Anyone doing this ?
Old 25-09-2008, 07:20 AM
bojan
amateur

I am using some russian lenses (M42) with my 400D, and they perform OK. Also I modified one Tamron 200mm to M42 (and to canon via adapter), it was originally used on Minolta (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...t=minolta+lens).
Since I could not find appropriate Tamron Adapt_a_matic adapter, a friend of mine modified M42 screw from Hanimex 2.8/135 lens (it is a disaster of a lens, BTW, and I did not feel a thing when I canibalized it for parts) and machined it such that it fitted the lens, it was not very complicated job.
Of course, lens is manual now, but then again, I use it for astro use exclusively, so not an issue at all.
Generally, it is better to avoid adapters with lenses, they add a lot of distortions. It is better to consider mechanical modification, even if it is not reversible. After all, who wants to use lenses with film camera bodies anyway these days?
Only, you have to be sure the whole exercise is worth the effort. So some preliminary star testing with a simple adapter and eyepiece will be a good indication of weather to proceed with work or not.

Also, have a look at this link:
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/
There are others.. however there was one very useful link that I can not find now.. I'll try later today from home.

Right now I am planning to modify Canon SSC 50mm F1.4 lens, FD mount.. it will be irreversible, but this lens is very good so it will be worth it (I even obtained the service manual for it!)

Last edited by bojan; 25-09-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 29-09-2008, 02:34 PM
astroboy

Hi Ian
I have been using Nikkor lenses with the modded 350Ds and they work well , particularly the 180 F2.8 ED and 300 F4.5 ED, I paid aout $200 for the adapter , you can get much cheaper ones on Ebay .
The adapter has no lens elements so there is no extra distortion , some bodies like the Nikons require lens elements to get focus with M42 lenses , the Canon lens mount is wider so the adapter can fit inside.
One of the advantages of Canon bodies is you can use a lot of different lens fittings with them like Contax , Lecia R and M , Olympus and Nikon but I'm not sure about MD fit.

Zane
Old 29-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
Hi Ian
I have been using Nikkor lenses with the modded 350Ds and they work well , particularly the 180 F2.8 ED and 300 F4.5 ED, I paid aout $200 for the adapter , you can get much cheaper ones on Ebay .
The adapter has no lens elements so there is no extra distortion , some bodies like the Nikons require lens elements to get focus with M42 lenses , the Canon lens mount is wider so the adapter can fit inside.
One of the advantages of Canon bodies is you can use a lot of different lens fittings with them like Contax , Lecia R and M , Olympus and Nikon but I'm not sure about MD fit.

Zane
I spotted a Canon FD 200mm f/1.8 and seriously considered bidding on it (up to about 1000 USD, they had an outlandish BItN asking price of 4000USD on it but were taking offers under that) on Ebay but the uncertainty about adapting the FD to EF bayonet gave pause.

I'll probably get hold of a MD - EF adapter in the short term - this will give ability to use my old 200mm f/3.5 and my old 70-150 f/3.8 zoom on the 40D for astroimaging until such time the AUD gets closer to parity with the USD and I buy that EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM and 2xT2 L teleconvertor I want.
Old 29-09-2008, 05:38 PM
bojan
amateur

One more very useful link:
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/
Old 30-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Oly Zuiko lenses on Canon 350D

Still got my ole Oly OM1 camera's; just can't seem to get rid of them!!
The collection of Zuiko lenses from the 80's have a new lease on life on the Canon 350D. An adaptor from HongKong (about $4) and I can now use the 200mm, 135mm, 50mm and even the 28mm.
Pretty good for wide angle shots...........