Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 25-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Weltevreden SA (Dana)
Dana in SA

Latest issue of "Nightfall" journal from S Africa is out

Hi all,

The Jan 2019 issue of our South African online journal "Nightfall" is now posted on the ASSA website. It has 114 all-colour pages of articles about South African skies, ASSA member projects, and research studies about various well-known objects. You can directly link to a hi-rez version on Google Drive here: <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yu...wD_5QjrAN3Qlu1>

There's a few articles of more than purely astronomical interest this time. Chief among these is your own Andrew James's beautifully illustrated history of M42–M43, the Orion Nebula. We came across his website "Southern Astronomical Delights" after one of you IIS folks mentioned it. Andrew is such a good writer and historian that we asked him if we could re-publish his M42 piece in this issue. He was happy about that, so were we, and so now you can join the party. A tall glass full of that pale amber frothy stuff is a good idea on these occasions.

Also in the same issue, lovers of astronomy history and old maps will enjoy "A Dialogue between two world systems," featuring gorgeous 17th century hand-coloured illustrations of the Ptolemaic and Copernican systems, plus many other images of star fields and constellations printed during that era. Those folks knew a thing or two about turning scientific astronomy into beautiful art.

And in case you've noticed that a lot of comets look greenish, we look into that, too, and discovered green was looking back.

Keep in mind that article-length submissions by any of you with an interesting topic to explore are welcome at our door. After all, it's only a frogpond between us.

The same goes for really cool and unusual astro-images. Our next issue will feature some by Greg Bradley and Bert "aavandonk", the coolest name in your whole membership list.

The welcome mat is out, boys. Don't forget the shrimps for the braai (your barbie).

Enjoy the read!

=Dana in S Africa
Old 25-01-2019, 07:29 PM
silv (Annette)

Hey there Dana et al,

I am looking forward to browsing and studying it - with a tall glas of that pale amber stuff. In my case that's hot Ginger water and under a blanket in Germany's permanently foggy, tentatively sub-zero celsius winter on the coast of the Baltic sea.

Cheers Annette

P.S. Not knowing whether or not you planned to announce your newsletter on CN, I took the liberty of posting a link there, as well. And on a German astro forum, too. I can't help it, I'm rather a huuuuge fan of y'all.

Last edited by silv; 25-01-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: URLs added