Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Carl

cooling dslr CAMERAS

Hi all
Is there an easy and inexpensive way tool the CEMOS chip in Canon DSLR cameras to help reduce noise during hot summer nights like tonight??

Carl
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
h0ughy (David)

Bert had some promising ideas - else go and get what i had done to my 350D --> www.centralds.net
Old 08-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Outbackmanyep

i wouldnt need that then if it cools to 18 degrees C, my ambient temp is approx that during the summer nights.....even lower!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Garyh
Amongst the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmanyep View Post
i wouldnt need that then if it cools to 18 degrees C, my ambient temp is approx that during the summer nights.....even lower!

That would be 18c below ambient so it would be zero deg if it was 18c outside.

Its very hard to cool the camera externally with much success!
Bert had built a little fridge around his and there are various other easier ways but with a lower efficency.
My bolt on peltier will bring the camera 5-7c below ambient which does help on a hot night!
I shall yakr a pic of it if that helps?
cheers Gary
Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Suzy_A

I once tried sticking my 30D in the freezer for a few hours and then taking some photos with it. The reduction in noise was amazing....

The main issue was condensation and the secondary issue was kepping the camera cold for a few hours, so I've been thinking of making a jacket out of something - wetsuit material or something - to provide a bit of insulation and making sure the whole thing is well sealed inside a plastic bag or something.

As for stopping condensation on the sensor (or rather the filter over the sensor), that's easily done by just sticking a T-adapter with a 2" filter (clear or Halpha or whatever) on it and purging the air inside the space with a dry gas. The gas inside provides enough insulation to keep the sensor cold for a while and prevent condensation. But I would probably also stick some silica gell inside too.