Old 02-03-2021, 12:04 PM
SB (Chris)

OSC Image Processing with Affinity Photo

Hi Everyone,
I have been using Affinity Photo for Mac to process my OSC images. I really like this product and is fast with Apple M1 processor.

Has any one used Affinity Photo for processing LRGB? Looking at the other thread about OSC and Mono made me think about whether Affinity Photo will support Mono processing. The channels available in the software are RGB and Alpha.

Thanks.

Chris.
Old 17-03-2021, 03:17 PM
SB (Chris)

Hi Folks,
In answer to my own question I found these tutorials for LRGB and SHO composing using Affinity Photo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFrElNtS_sw
https://edit.photography/astrophotog...ffinity-photo/

Would be interested in any feedback.

Chris
Old 18-03-2021, 10:47 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Affinity doesn't do FITS format

Potential users should be aware that, even after two years on the market, Affinity doesn't read FITS format, just TIFF, and on their forum, they don't seem to care. Caveat Emptor.

Pity, otherwise it's a nice program and not expensive.
Old 19-03-2021, 07:13 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Affinity is dabbling with a FITS capability

After my late night rant post above, woke up this morning to find a bunch of responses from Affinity users and the developer. Without having yet gone back to delve into them, it appears that Affinity 1.9.1 now has an "Astrophotography stack" function that handles FITS, including debayering, so it looks like they've started down the righteous path My apologies to them.

Affinity has a free trial period, it appears to be out of the UK, and there are numerous Youtube videos on using it for astro final image processing purposes. It's worth a look.
Old 19-03-2021, 07:52 AM
SB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
After my late night rant post above, woke up this morning to find a bunch of responses from Affinity users and the developer. Without having yet gone back to delve into them, it appears that Affinity 1.9.1 now has an "Astrophotography stack" function that handles FITS, including debayering, so it looks like they've started down the righteous path My apologies to them.

Affinity has a free trial period, it appears to be out of the UK, and there are numerous Youtube videos on using it for astro final image processing purposes. It's worth a look.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the heads-up re Affinity 1.9.1. I just tried the new Affinity Astrophotography stacking module and was able to successfully load my image session FITS files. Affinity also gave me the option to view each individual frame before stacking and callibrating against my Darks, Flats and Bias frames.

Here's a couple of images from the workflow:
Image 1: Showing loaded FITS files into Affinity and viewing an individual frame.
Image 2: A very quick processed image of the stacked files

Chris.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.23.36 am.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	273010
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 8.21.02 am.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	273009