Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 14-01-2019, 08:29 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Recommendations for a lithium battery powertank to supply a Meade Lx200 10"

Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a preloved Mead Lx200R 10" telescope and would do well to have a lithium power supply to power it. There seems to be a choice of products out there from Powertech to Celestron and I thought it would behoove me to get some experienced Astronomer advice on what would be my best purchase for the long term.

Cheers Fred TIA
Old 14-01-2019, 10:22 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredinBroome View Post
Hello everyone,

I've just purchased a preloved Mead Lx200R 10" telescope and would do well to have a lithium power supply to power it. There seems to be a choice of products out there from Powertech to Celestron and I thought it would behoove me to get some experienced Astronomer advice on what would be my best purchase for the long term.

Cheers Fred TIA
Power supplies really are such a personal thing, I did look into many when buying and I chose this for two reasons, 1. Powers scope, 2, also has TWO different power setting USB outs, not just the standard low one so it also powers hungry gear such as the Daystar Quark Ha filter

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/celestr...QaAhlqEALw_wcB

I also use these for my dew heaters (eyepiece and objectives)

https://www.tracerpower.com/?gclid=C...IaAofnEALw_wcB

These in particular

https://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-l...ery-packs.html

Cheaper alternatives are available
Old 15-01-2019, 11:54 AM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Power supplies really are such a personal thing, I did look into many when buying and I chose this for two reasons, 1. Powers scope, 2, also has TWO different power setting USB outs, not just the standard low one so it also powers hungry gear such as the Daystar Quark Ha filter

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/celestr...QaAhlqEALw_wcB

I also use these for my dew heaters (eyepiece and objectives)

https://www.tracerpower.com/?gclid=C...IaAofnEALw_wcB

These in particular

https://www.tracerpower.com/tracer-l...ery-packs.html

Cheaper alternatives are available
Hello Jeremy,

I researched hard an long last night after asking this question and I found there wasn't any easy or straight forward answer. Part of purchasing any power supply package also including procuring the correct 12V power connector for the different brands out there.

I first discovered the Meade Power Supply LXPS17. It must be a heavy sucker as freight to Broome comes in at a hefty $80 bringing the whole unit to just over $400. It is an older model discontinued very where except Australia for some reason. It comes complete with the Meade 12V cable and includes a red torch USB etc so I will just have to buy two Skywatcher compatible leads.

I can get power solutions from my local Repco store so no freight solution. These are cheaper but I will be up for buying 12V power cables for all three scopes and a red torch. The Mechpro Jump Starter 12V 1800A has a 40AH with a cigarette lighter PTO and USB 1.1 connector. Unfortunately the Lithium starter option didn't have a cigarette PTO. This monster is $279.

Lastly I discuss the Celestron Powertank Lithium which you sent a link for. This one comes with red / white torch, a cable to power Celestron maybe Skywatcher, both USB 1.1 and 2.1 and has the latest Lithium technology. My only concern is its 7.2AH rating?

I'm still open to suggestions as I don't need the power unit just yet. This is just some of my thoughts.

Cheers, Fred
Old 15-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredinBroome View Post
Celestron Powertank Lithium...
.. is an expensive toy compared to the rest, I doubt it would power my mount for a night - 7.2Ah is not enough. Look at how many amps your accessories use and multiply by say 6h for an observing session, then double that to allow for the fact that batteries don't work well when cold, plus deterioration with age. USB ports can be 2Ah, and add up what your mount, cameras, heaters draw.

Far better to buy a SLA or gel battery, then head to Bunnings and buy some wire, a pack of crimp lugs and crimping tool, and assemble a wiring harness that suits you and put it all in a plastic tool box with plugs and sockets to suit you. There are cheap small meters available from Jaycar / eBay so you can display volts and current too, if you wish.

Two things:

- include a 10A fuse somewhere and some spares - in case you short-circuit something in the dark; batteries can deliver a massive short circuit current and fire or an exploding battery are possible risks and some form of protection is required.

- make sure whatever the battery is in cannot short the terminals - ie don't put it in a metal toolbox or leave loose items near it.

Last edited by Wavytone; 15-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 15-01-2019, 12:15 PM
casstony

I bought a 40Ah LifePO4 battery from ebay which has been working well; it was 10% off at the time but there's 5% at the moment. I'd used lead acid previously but they're too heavy for me.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-40AH...72.m2749.l2649
Old 15-01-2019, 12:31 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I bought a 40Ah LifePO4 battery from ebay which has been working well; it was 10% off at the time but there's 5% at the moment. I'd used lead acid previously but they're too heavy for me.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-40AH...72.m2749.l2649
Hey Tony,

Now that's a battery mate. Tell me, did it also come with the carry bag too. Cheers for putting me onto that one. Never new they existed.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:11 PM
casstony

It did come with a carry bag and charger. You have to have the battery switched on to charge.
I've probably used and charged it a dozen times or more for up to 6 hours running the mount and 2 dew heaters - the voltage hasn't dropped and the percentage charge hasn't moved off 100% but that's typical of lithium batteries. They give a constant output until nearing empty then die fairly quickly.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:52 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
It did come with a carry bag and charger. You have to have the battery switched on to charge.
I've probably used and charged it a dozen times or more for up to 6 hours running the mount and 2 dew heaters - the voltage hasn't dropped and the percentage charge hasn't moved off 100% but that's typical of lithium batteries. They give a constant output until nearing empty then die fairly quickly.
Thanks Tony again for the heads up. I just bought one. Energy supply solved. Cheers