ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 PM
casstony

Horsehead

I've got lots of images comprising one hour of exposures and I'm trying to get a few hours worth on each. I got an hour last night on this one making 2 hours total - can see an obvious increase in detail over the previous effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (horseheadflame 7.1.19 4%.jpg)
199.1 KB87 views
Old 07-01-2019, 06:30 PM
RyanJones

A beautiful effort there Tony. Considerably more data than the last one. well done.

I can't help but feel that both this one and the last are a little black clipped. This could be just an artistic choice and the blackness of the sky does give a really strong contrast with the nebs.

Good work Tony
Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 PM
casstony

Thanks Ryan. Yes all of my images are black clipped to varying degrees. My processing is very basic - I adjust levels, saturation and curves in Photoshop.

I'm going to look at PixInsight when I get time.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 PM
RyanJones

I tried a trial of PI and yes the way you use it is a little bit odd but what a piece of software. Amazing ! Not cheap though ( although what in this game is ? )

I tried Startools last night and to be honest, I feel I've got more control with Photoshop. Yes you have to do every thing yourself but it gives you an understanding of what you're doing.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:06 PM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Really good image you got here Tony. You haven't let Alnitak take over which is really hard to do.
Also nice stars over the wholie field and both the horse and flame are real standouts and i like ths full rich reds you have.
Cheers
Andy
Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Lovely shot, I really need to sort out what I'm doing & go after this one. The images of it always blow me away...

Not sure if it's achievable with my setup or not...
Old 08-01-2019, 11:28 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Lovely shot, I really need to sort out what I'm doing & go after this one. The images of it always blow me away...

Not sure if it's achievable with my setup or not...
Thanks Carlton. You could get the flame or horsehead individually with your setup, but obviously the FOV is limited by the focal length.
Given that you're doing ok with a SCT, you'd get amazing images with a shorter focal length refractor.

I want to do some imaging of smaller objects with my Edge 8, but I've still got a long list of unfinished projects with the TS115.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Tony,

Yeah, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't sold my 80mm APO but, MofW&F stipulated something had to go if I wanted a solar scope... so.....

I'm currently hunting for an 'cheap' HEQ5 Pro or similar to mount my solar scope on & perhaps invest in a small APO later down the track.

I now have a couple of focal reducers, still working them out as well as learning more about the camera's I have, might have to give this one a crack... people will tire of me constantly posting M42 I suspect...

Cheers

Carlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Thanks Carlton. You could get the flame or horsehead individually with your setup, but obviously the FOV is limited by the focal length.
Given that you're doing ok with a SCT, you'd get amazing images with a shorter focal length refractor.

I want to do some imaging of smaller objects with my Edge 8, but I've still got a long list of unfinished projects with the TS115.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:37 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameiscd View Post
Really good image you got here Tony. You haven't let Alnitak take over which is really hard to do.
Also nice stars over the wholie field and both the horse and flame are real standouts and i like ths full rich reds you have.
Cheers
Andy
Thanks Andy. I use a WO Flat6A II set at 4mm with the TS115 and the stars look quite good. I like the Flat 6A as it's adjustable to suit different scopes and it's not too expensive.

Lately I haven't bothered polar aligning and the stars are still fine. I've been getting away with positioning the tripod feet on marks on the ground and I've got a mark drawn on the mount base/tripod which gets lined up.

The only guiding setup I've used is my current MGEN but I like it a lot - very easy to use and effective (but not cheap).
Old 12-01-2019, 03:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great shot Tony.
alex
Old 12-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Karlzburg (Karl)
No moon for you!!

Looks good Tony, the horsehead is sharp.
Old 13-01-2019, 12:31 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I've got lots of images comprising one hour of exposures and I'm trying to get a few hours worth on each. I got an hour last night on this one making 2 hours total - can see an obvious increase in detail over the previous effort.

Show off
Old 13-01-2019, 02:37 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Show off
Hoping to show off more tomorrow - testing my new TS72 fpl53 doublet at the moment