Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-07-2017, 11:40 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Jewelbox - GSO Truss Newt first light

First light test with my new 12" GSO truss newt.

A quicky 1.5hrs of LRGB using teleskop-express GPU coma corrector on QSI683. And also first time with SGP. Auto focus run with the Moonlte focuser worked and also it fired up PHD2 and automatically and found a guide star.

Stars are nice and round pretty much to the edges so I'm rather impressed with the scope so far. It's quite a bit of telescope for the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20170730-jewelBox-4.jpg)
205.6 KB163 views
Click for full-size image (20170730-jewelBox-3.jpg)
218.3 KB184 views
Old 30-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Congratulations, that is stunning.

What a beautiful cluster!

H
Old 30-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

One of the best images of this cluster I have ever seen. Well done (to the telescope)
Old 30-07-2017, 02:46 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Wonderful results Dave! Particularly like the wide view, puts it into context with the myriads of redder stars dotted around the field.
Old 30-07-2017, 02:52 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Thanks Guys.

I was rather pleased with my first effort. The seeing was rather good for Dunedin.
Old 30-07-2017, 03:10 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Lovely first work! Yes I too like the wider view, puts it all into context.
Old 30-07-2017, 05:34 PM
vlazg (George)

Wow Dave, looks brilliant, congratulations on the first light, great result.
I agree with the others, the wider view is better.
Old 30-07-2017, 07:12 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

That's one of the better images I have seen of the Jewel Box. Well done!
Old 30-07-2017, 08:18 PM
mountainjoo (Jerome)

Really like this Dave. Looking forward to seeing more images from you with this scope.
Old 31-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Paul Haese

That looks good Dave, I am yet to take an image with my Newt, though commissioning has started. I hope the MPCC is as good at correcting as the GPU is on your scope. Any chance of seeing a bigger image?

BTW, I like the colour, reasonably balanced, though maybe just a tad too blue magenta in the back ground. This looks like an interesting couple of months for both of us.
Old 31-07-2017, 06:26 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
That looks good Dave, I am yet to take an image with my Newt, though commissioning has started. I hope the MPCC is as good at correcting as the GPU is on your scope. Any chance of seeing a bigger image?

BTW, I like the colour, reasonably balanced, though maybe just a tad too blue magenta in the back ground. This looks like an interesting couple of months for both of us.
Yes, definitely too blue/magenta, I was a bit quick of the block when posting.
You will find that the GPU will produce smaller/tighter stars than the Baader.
I have both and dont use the MPCC any longer.

Here is the full res:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba7xixl86j...elBox.jpg?dl=0
Old 31-07-2017, 06:33 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Full res this time:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/do67p126zi...Box-5.jpg?dl=0
Old 31-07-2017, 06:45 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

This is my ABSOLUTE favourite open cluster and this is one of the BEST shots I've seen of it... Exquisite!!!
Old 31-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Yes, definitely too blue/magenta, I was a bit quick of the block when posting.
You will find that the GPU will produce smaller/tighter stars than the Baader.
I have both and dont use the MPCC any longer.

Here is the full res:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ba7xixl86j...elBox.jpg?dl=0
Oooh that is exciting. This is really hoping my scope is as good as the one you have. I am sure it is, but those stars are tight and round to the edge of the field. I am sitting and waiting at home right now for the cloud to clear at Clayton and just salivating on this high res image. They look almost like refractor stars.
Old 31-07-2017, 07:42 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Oooh that is exciting. This is really hoping my scope is as good as the one you have. I am sure it is, but those stars are tight and round to the edge of the field. I am sitting and waiting at home right now for the cloud to clear at Clayton and just salivating on this high res image. They look almost like refractor stars.
I must admit I was very surprised at the quality of the image especially at the edges. Compared to my last GSO, the 10" f4, this seems to be in another league. Whether I just struck it lucky remains to be seen. Im sure the conical mirror helps. No micky mouse GSO mirror cell to worry about.

The other bonus is that telescope held focus for over two hours and collimation was still good after a meridian flip. There maybe benefit from strengthening the the top section of the scope when using heavy imaging trains. I already have purchased carbon fibre tubes and end connectors from Dragonplate.com in the States. However I will wait a while before I do any surgery based on what I have seen so far.
Old 31-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
I must admit I was very surprised at the quality of the image especially at the edges. Compared to my last GSO, the 10" f4, this seems to be in another league. Whether I just struck it lucky remains to be seen. Im sure the conical mirror helps. No micky mouse GSO mirror cell to worry about.

The other bonus is that telescope held focus for over two hours and collimation was still good after a meridian flip. There maybe benefit from strengthening the the top section of the scope when using heavy imaging trains. I already have purchased carbon fibre tubes and end connectors from Dragonplate.com in the States. However I will wait a while before I do any surgery based on what I have seen so far.
Over the years Jim has been producing better and better mirrors and the truss built scopes are really the apex of all the development. I got to the point with the RC of not refocusing until there was a 2 degree shift in temperature. The truss on the RC seemed very stable and held collimation well.

Like you I have been working on alternative ideas on how to keep the secondary from moving. I am pleased to see your system which identical to mine holds well.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:19 AM
gregbradley

That's a lovely image and I agree with many of the posters that is one of the best images of this difficult target.

Looking at the full rez though, there is something odd in the bottom left corner - a dark corner. That maybe just a sub that was rotated. Also looking at the image it gives the appearance of bowing out in the centre, curvature.
Something to consider when evaluating the coma corrector's performance rather as well as roundness of stars in the corners. Which gives the flatter field. That is something the FSQ is so good at, such a flat field. At first it almost seems odd as we get used to curvature.

I am only being so picky as you are evaluating your gear as it does not detract from the fabulous image.

Greg.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:30 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's a lovely image and I agree with many of the posters that is one of the best images of this difficult target.

Looking at the full rez though, there is something odd in the bottom left corner - a dark corner. That maybe just a sub that was rotated. Also looking at the image it gives the appearance of bowing out in the centre, curvature.
Something to consider when evaluating the coma corrector's performance rather as well as roundness of stars in the corners. Which gives the flatter field. That is something the FSQ is so good at, such a flat field. At first it almost seems odd as we get used to curvature.

I am only being so picky as you are evaluating your gear as it does not detract from the fabulous image.

Greg.
Thanks for your thoughts Greg. I will take a closer look at some of the fits subs to see whats going on.

With fast newtonians we are rather limited with the choice of coma correctors.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts Greg. I will take a closer look at some of the fits subs to see whats going on.

With fast newtonians we are rather limited with the choice of coma correctors.
Its a minor nitpick it was more an impression I got looking at the image. A bit like when lens corrections get applied in Lightroom to a digital camera photo.
What you could do is use the lens correction tool in PShop and see if you can change that.

Greg.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

+1 - very nice