Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 12:00 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

By way of comparison, I don't have a wired connection. I have a 5 year old Telstra 3G wireless mobile broadband hotspot. In suburban Canberra, I regularly get between 8 & 9 Mbps from this which is fast enough to do anything I want. I don't download movies.

I dipped my toe in the water with Vodafail 4G wireless broadband last year. They were spruiking that they had the fastest 4G speeds of any carrier.

On average, I got between 1Mbps and 3Mbps. Rarely getting up to 6Mbps.

Joe
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Joe, I regularly get 50MBs via my phone on Vodaphone up here. 3G is ****. Right now I'm getting 80MBs on 4G. You need to realise it's based on the number of time slots available on a channel at the time of use. If your near a major road or center like a shopping mall, Footy, Cricket, etc, speed will be crap during peak hours as time slots get used up. Also the higher frequency used in 4G means more time slots in the same amount of space. My son only rents in suburbs with FTTP. He's in a Northside suburb right now.

Last edited by Tandum; 03-08-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I got a letter from NBN co this week saying they will be changing the telstra pillar over the back fence to an NBN pillar.
If you're REALLY lucky, your phone line comes up from the back fence into your house, and you should in theory be able to get something close to 100 Mbps.

However, it's far more likely that your phone line comes in from the front fence, so the length of copper wire from the NBN FTTN node is anyone's guess. Best case scenario is that it runs up to the nearest corner and straight back to your front fence, so you might only have a couple of hundred metres of copper, so you might still get something in the 50 - 100 Mbps range (as long as the copper wire is in good condition).

Worst case scenario is that the copper meanders all over the suburb before it reaches your front fence, or you are connected to a different node altogether, and / or the copper in your neighbourhood is corroded and badly joined, in which case your maximum attainable speeds could be 25 Mbps or less.

Welcome to Malcolm Turnbull's Node Lotto - Australia's favourite high-tech high-stakes gambling game!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:20 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Joe, I regularly get 50MBs via my phone on Vodaphone up here. 3G is ****. Right now I'm getting 80MBs on 4G. You need to realise it's based on the number of time slots available on a channel at the time of use. If your near a major road or center like a shopping mall, Footy, Cricket, etc, speed will be crap during peak hours as time slots get used up. Also the higher frequency used in 4G means more time slots in the same amount of space. My son only rents in suburbs with FTTP. He's in a Northside suburb right now.
Robin,

You missed the point of my post. I'm aware of how mobile broadband bandwidth sharing works. Those 3G speeds are fine for my modest use of the internet which is why I haven't gone chasing more speed. I'm not telling anyone to go back to 3G. I was pointing out that the NBN speeds being quoted are comparable to my old 3G technology mobile broadband and IMO totally unacceptable.

Joe
Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Well I have handed over my debacle to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. Since being connected I have had at least 130 dropouts that I know of and my download speed last night was to put it mildly absolute crap. IINet seem to be unable to do anything or refuse, whatever the case, I keep sending emails, get auto reply and that is it. My tasks are open for a few days then closed. In peak periods I am slower than adsl. See image. It has dropped out more than 20 times in the last 24 hrs as can be seen from the connection history. That was taken last night and since then already 6 times from 7.00am this morning.
I am 150metres from Node, and according to NBN tech my cabling is fine. I have had enough hence my opening a complaint with the TIO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ookla speed test 2150 Aug 10 2017.jpg)
57.7 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (Online history as at 12.14pm Aug 11 2017.png)
129.8 KB14 views
Old 11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

14 down but only 0.8 up.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

105 down 2.4 up Telstra cable here
Old 12-08-2017, 01:50 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Just averaged 4 tests, 33mb down & 1.2mb up, Telstra cable, - old foxtel line put here in yr 2,000 or so !
Not complainin'

We were on Adsl last yr and the previous 5 yrs before that with approx 4-5Mb down & 100-150kb up
Old 12-08-2017, 02:31 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
105 down 2.4 up Telstra cable here
Faaaaaark! We can only dream
Old 12-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Faaaaaark! We can only dream

Yeah it's pretty good however I'm in no hurry to change to the NBN considering the congestion issues.
Old 13-08-2017, 01:49 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

I have just tested my internet speed on testmy.net.
Download 30.5Mbps, Upload 1.74Mbps. It is an Optus service via their old TV cable.
I have never encountered congestion.

I understand that NBN now owns this cable and so I may be kicked off it when my district is NBN Ready(??). I will set up a howl if/when this happens!
Peter
Old 13-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Peter.M

Heres mine, please dont throw stones at me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled.png)
37.6 KB29 views
Old 14-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Exfso (Peter)

Who ya with Peter?, I am with IINet and I get that as well during the day, as soon as it gets around 8 pm until around 10pm it all turns to sh1t big time. They do not have anywhere near enough backhaul to satisfy their customer base during peak periods.
See what it reads around 9.30pm As you can see there is a monstrous difference between peak time at 9.50pm and 12.40am. as shown in my two images...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (OOkla at 1240am  14th Aug 2017.png)
74.7 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (ookla speed test 2150 Aug 10 2017.jpg)
57.7 KB24 views