Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average.
Old 25-05-2012, 05:05 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Article: Highlights of the Winter Sky

Suzy has been kind enough to write an article for beginners who are looking for something to observe during Winter. It's called Highlights of the Winter Sky and is available from the IceInSpace Projects page, or directly by clicking the link below:

Highlights of the Winter Sky

Thanks to Suzy for her contribution! We'd love more, of any type of article or review. Get in touch via Write for IceInSpace.

Last edited by iceman; 25-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 25-05-2012, 03:40 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Suzy's first article has been uploaded
Old 25-05-2012, 04:50 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Well done Suzy
I'll print the list out and if the rain ever clears, I'll work my way though it.
Old 25-05-2012, 04:58 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Well Done Suzy,
I will use this list to add to my pretty picture gallery when I get visitors to Cambroon
Cheers
Old 25-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Colin_Fraser

Thanks very much Suzy.
It's perfect. Exactly what us beginners need
Old 25-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Wookie (Ryan)

Thanks Suzy,

Having just acquired my first telescope I'll be sure to work my way through this list and enjoy the Highlights of the Winter Sky!!!
Old 25-05-2012, 10:18 PM
technofetishism (Nick)

Great list, made a quick EQTour file attatched for those ASCOM inclined. (rename to .lst)
Attached Files
File Type: txt suzy_wintersky.txt (1.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 25-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Thank you so much everyone.
It's been a rewarding experience doing this list knowing it's going to help so many of you. I'm so glad you like it!

I would love to hear everyones observations- please post them here if you get a chance? I can't wait to hear how you all go with them and what you'll think. Some might call me nosey
But you'll also find that reading observing reports are a great way to learn and if people post some here, there might be more to learn.

If you've never posted on this forum before- pleeeease join in.

Happy scoping everyone & clear skies.
Now go get 'em!

P.S. Just saying... If I was to pick first off the rank on that list to observe, it would be Ruby Crucis (& ridiculously easy to find to boot!). Get ready to pick your jaw off the ground though.
Old 26-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Suzy

Have a read of this thread- it's filled with loads of helpful advice in helping to find galaxies. Posts #36 &#37 give a fantastic star hop tip to finding M104 (The Sombrero galaxy).

Remember... galaxies are best viewed when the moon isn't around and the object is nice and high in the sky. Avoid Zenith if you have a dob- it can be difficult.

I have a great little app. on my android phone that tells me when the moon is going to buzz off, take a look here.
Even when the moon is in its waning and waxing crescent phases, there are times when it'll rise later in the night allowing you a few hours to observe those galaxies without it.

Last edited by Suzy; 26-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 26-05-2012, 05:02 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Well, winter constellations are still visible by this time of the year when it is just dark.

Ar lat 34 S (NSW, VIC, ACT, SA, southern WA) the most well known winter constellation Orion is still low in the West, Canis Major above it, Canis Minor, Gemini, etc. Canopus is also a 'winter star', but in most of AU it is visible nearly all year round and in Melbourne and TAS even circumpolar. But for some winter highlights such as the Pleiades, M42 you are too late, they are gone now. They are 'winter constellations' because they are best visible in the winter months Dec and Jan.

Here in Holland (52 N) Orion is gone since mid April and Canopus never rises.
Old 26-05-2012, 08:11 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Skysurfer, I don't know what you are really trying to say
This article is for the coming "Winter Months" up to about August here "In Australia and New Zealand", and is just a presentation of some easy and interesting objects to see in Binoculars and telescopes.
Cheers

Last edited by astroron; 26-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 26-05-2012, 02:15 PM
stardust steve (Steve)

Well done compiling and submitting this helpful and informative list of Winter delights
I will be hunting hunting these gems down with great eagerness.....
as soon as the is asleep
Old 11-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Suzy

Bump!
Winter's here so I thought this worthy of a bump to help with showing beginners some easy to see targets .
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Thanks for this Suzy !

Andy
Old 12-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Suzy

My pleasure Andy, thank you.

Actually... I'd like to throw in another object on that list, it's not a "highlight" as such though, but in Vela there a really interesting globular cluster- NGC3201. It's like none other I've seen yet. Instead of being a condensed ball like most globs are, it looks like someone has taken a shot gun to it and smashed it to pieces. It's so loose, it resembles a star cluster.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Thanks for another great list Suzy.

I've duly printed it out and have been pleased to note that I can already put ticks next to a few of them

This looks like a good list for me to work through, track down, and then take a quick happy snap, just to prove to myself later that I've been there.

i remember our family going to a very large zoo in a parkland setting when I was a kid, and we came across an elderly couple trudging round the perimeter road. The old man was moaning to his wife and asking why they were there at all. She replied "'cos it's somewhere to say you've bin!" (been).... And that became a family saying for ever afterwards...

So if friends ever ask me what I saw of interest in Ruby Crucis, or the Jewel Box, I'll be able to say "'cos it's somewhere to say you've bin!."

Cheers,

Chris
Old 13-06-2017, 06:02 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Suzy,

G'day.

I have some first-time observing friends coming over for a look in the Direction of Up on June 30th. Was thrilled to find Ruby Crucis on your list - it is my favourite star. When I do my sky tours, I set people up to look at the brilliant Blue-White of Mimosa. And then I draw their attention to the little BLOOD RED one.

Thanks for putting together this list.
Old 13-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Suzy

Hi Chris,

Quote:
"'cos it's somewhere to say you've bin!
Great story .
Starting out, it's great to have a list of easy to find, bright objects hey.
It feels like you're achieving at a quicker pace which is a big buzz when first using a telescope. And like you I enjoyed ticking off, it was very rewarding. I've listed below a few more objects to add to your list .

Hi Michael,
It's unfortunate isn't it that Ruby Crucis doesn't get more of a mention. Is it because people think oh carbon star whoopie ? . But once seen for oneself it's something so special and it deserves to be grouped in with the rest of the eye candy objects, that's for sure. I really hope more people will come to know this beautiful star. It's so great that you show it off, all the best on your observing night .

Seeing as some people are enjoying the list, how about I add a few more? I'll include the GC I mentioned in a previous post seeing as it's so weird , and three really gorgeous star clusters listed below which are all visible now:

NGC3201 - Globular Cluster.
Very interesting GC like none other I've seen yet. Instead of being a condensed ball like most globs are, it's loosely scattered, as if it's been blown up and smashed to pieces!
Constellation: Vela

Collinder 399 - The Coat Hanger Cluster / Brocchi's Cluster.
I'm not kidding- it *really* does look like a coat hanger!
Constellation: Vulpecula

M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster.
Huge spray of bright stars, very impressive.
Constellation: Scutum
http://earthsky.org/clusters-nebulae...by-eagles-tail

Mel. 111.
Large open cluster.
Constellation: Coma Berenices.
and while there ....
It'd be interesting to see if through 6" and 8" apertures if this is visible.... the crazy awesome galaxy lineup of Markarian's Chain. It's visible with my 10" through light pollution. And pay close attention to "The Eyes" in that chain which are interacting galaxies. They look spooky as they really do look like a set of eyes; visible in the same FOV (field of view) of the eyepiece with no stars between and around... just eyes in the dark! It's one of my favourite patches of sky. Do some googling on the super giant galaxy M87 there- it's very special.
Old 23-06-2017, 11:57 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Thanks for continued support on the list Suzy its been a help over time on nights i'm willing and able to get outside and look but dont have inspiration of something to find. I'm woefully ignorant of our skies