Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Sharing a Rainmeter skin for astromy nuts

Hey all, I thought I'd share something I've been working on for a while.

For the longest time I've used Rainmeter to display all sorts of information on my desktop background. CPU usage, hdd usage, weather etc.

Well I've expanded on the one of the default shipped skins called Gnometer. While the default skin was great and pleasing to look at it lacked a few things. Namely I wanted current data from 7timer, I wanted to know when sun and moon rises and sets. The current moon phase, and also the astronomical twilight times.

Well I've attached the results on the off chance that anyone out there actually runs Rainmeter and uses the Gnometer skin (I'm sure I'm the only nerdy loner here. )

Install instructions in the post below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (astro-thingy.jpg)
33.2 KB591 views
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gnometer-Astro.zip (28.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Installation is simple... except you need to edit a few text files which may drive you mental.

1. First download and install Rainmeter, and Gnometer if you haven't already done so. Both are free and only a google away.
2. download the zip file and extract it to the Gnometer skin folder. Usually My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\Gnometer\
3. Jump into the subfolder "Astro" and open Forecast 5-day.ini in Notepad.
4. Scroll down and look for the line: Url=http://www.7timer.com/v4/bin/astro.php?lon=153.06&lat=-27.405&ac=0&unit=metric&output=xml& tzshift=0 and replace the "lon=###.##&lat=-##.###" with your location. 153 E and -27.4 N are co-ordinates for Brisbane.

Now the Astro plane should be setup.

8. Then go into the folder "Weather (Moon)" and edit the lone .ini file in there.
9. Change the line Url=http://www.wunderground.com/sky/ShowSky.asp?TheLat=-27.38416672&TheLon=153.11749268&Tim eZoneName=Australia/Brisbane&MR=1 and again edit the location data to suit.

Now the weather pane should be setup.

10. Finally simply right click on rainmeter, click Manage, and then go through and load the relevant panes.

Well it's all quite easy isn't it.

Well I did say I was a nerd, but if anyone here is interested and wants to give this a go then by all means. Post here if you have issues and I'll try my best to help you.
Old 25-07-2017, 07:15 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Hey Chris. Hope things are going well in Rotterdam. We are going to miss you next month at Astrofest. Not sure about you but I'm not game to click on the link in post number 3.

Pete.