Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thunderbird Junk Mail

I have looked at several web solutions for permanently removing junk mail from Thunderbird for every message that arrives with a particular address? Either the simple solutions do not appear to work and the other are a maze of complexity. Could anyone advise me of a simple way to do this?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:32 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

isn't there a rules system to let you move stuff straight to junk/trash where you can bulk delete?

new to thunderbird myself and using mailwasher to bulk delete from my isp so thats my working solution, the emails are gone before thunderbird sees them.

likewise do you have a webmail interface with your isp that lets you set up rules to delete the majority there?
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

I am still persevering with Thunderbird junk mail procedures and it seems that the nominated junk mail can be gathered in a batch that does make deletion easier. I used to use mailwasher and as I recall it did have a good bulk delete junk mail system which was simple to set up. I will have to look into it again. No webmail solution that I am aware of.

The problem with Thunderbird and other applications these days it that investigation of possible "add on" facilities quickly gets you into "nerd" territory. I am not so interested in the "why" something is done rather than the "do" ie a simple step by step guide. I notice that the latest "upgrade" of Thunderbird gave little of extra interest to me but churned up the applications to make them even more difficult to access. I think that there are a lot of programmers with sometimes little to do rather than designing "elegant" but not necessarily user friendly software. Often the "improvements" mean that the software anticipates what you want to do, often wrongly. Give me back the old drop down menus!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:42 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

yes, you are right. as a dev I focus on getting something technically accurate, secure and robust, its often not pretty and certainly not newbie user friendly. That takes far more work to achieve, the easier something is for a first time user to use the longer and more complicated it was to program. the typical way for programs to handle junk mail IS to move them to a separate folder where the user can check they are all junk and no good emails ended up there then you have to delete them yourself. If you want a solution that just automatically deletes then you're an idiot. No solution is 100% accurate and trainable solutions are only as good as how the user trains them. bayesian filters are very robust for training so look for that in the details of a plugin etc. sounds like you're expecting a science fiction solution.