Old 20-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

heat from laptop?

Trying to design my RORO, as best as i can. Has anyone noticed image distortion while the scope "looks" directly over the top of the laptop while its running and so distorting the view from the mild stream of heat. Or is this just a non issue? The laptop would probably be 1.5m away from the end of the scope on my design so far.

thanks
Josh
Old 21-10-2012, 12:18 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I say non-issue.

Others will likely disagree with me but I often put comfort ahead of such minute interferences. It used to be the case (and may still be) when I was building my observatory that people would get very finicky about the tiniest detail which in reality makes little difference to astronomy but has a big offset in comfort or convenience. I tend to sway the other direction a little, perhaps my images suffer but I have never found a difference.

I wouldn't even think twice about the heat from a laptop or computer.

Roger.
Old 21-10-2012, 07:30 AM
gregbradley

I think its unlikely. Perhaps if you were imaging at 3 metres you'd notice it. Shorter focal lengths most likely not.

I use a little gas heater under my table at my dark site observatory as it can get quite cold at times and I have never noticed any effect in images even though the scope is not too far away over it at times. And that's a little portable gas heater. I'd say in my case what little heat does rise is quite dispersed by the time its near the scope lens as its abotu 1.5 metres or more. Also its only very occassionally the scope is directly over it, usually off to one side.

I wouldn't put a heater under a long focal length planetary imaging machine though.

I agree with Roger, unless you are a planetary imager I doubt you would pick it up. Seeing,exact focus, good collimation and accurate tracking are the key things.
Greg.
Old 21-10-2012, 10:07 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Certainly an issue for us planet imagers. I can see the effect with IE Jupiter on the screen @ F10 (2800mmFL) with the SCT.
Old 21-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thanks everyone, your points are appreciated.

Josh
Old 21-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Poita (Peter)

For planetary, placement of my laptop, myself or even the power supplies can be enough to cause issues, all are well behind my scope when I image.

On another note, the cooling fan addition to the C9.25 made a huge difference to planetary imaging as well.