ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-08-2015, 08:40 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

vixen vmc 110L Collimation

I was looking for some help on whether or not I should collimate my vixen vmc 110L. it is slightly out of collimation but the image appears sharp to me,would it be beneficial or should I let sleeping dogs lie,and if it would be advisable to do this has anyone had to collimate this particular scope and if so some pointers would be appreciated
Old 01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I may be wrong buy I seem to remember reading on line somewhere these scopes are not user adjustable ? Ed Ting ? perhaps .
Brian.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I found this - not much help, BUT...

" I received one that was out of collimation due to shipping. In order to collimate the scope, I had to remove two small rubber plugs on the back and remove the flip mirror knob. Once collimated, the scope gave excellent images".
Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

You are right on the 'Excellent images' Lewis .

Brian3 and I on the night of testing out our refractors , Brian's sweet Sky Rover 115mm APO and my iStar 127mm f8 took a break from these and set up one of these for a quick look on my Vixen GP mount , we were both very suprised how good the moon was , not in the refractor league of course buy a nice image all the same especially for the price .

Another thing we noticed was its FOV was tight compared to the 2 refractors , understandable working at f10 and 1 1/4 inch eyepieces .

This scope was got by Brian for his grandson as a first scope , he could do much worse than one of these ., small and easily mounted , great design and build .

Brian.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:48 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Yes I must say it did surprise me the image quality even though slightly out of collimation and for portability and fast setup it's great ,just a bit worried as I have never collimated a scope before because my lx90 has been bang on since the day I bought it and never had to touch it ,could things go horribly wrong doing it yourself and would just taking it to bintel be the best option in your opinions,the centre circle on a out of focus star is central horizontally but around close to 1mm to the right vertically,advice would be appreciated