Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
  #81  
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
jamiep (Jamie)
Registered User

jamiep is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 361
I'll be trying one anyway - it's been a long time between drinks since the 20Da, and may be a long time again depending on the popularity of this model.

I have a standard 60D and it's a great little camera.

Jamie
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 19-04-2012, 10:38 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

loki78 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverwood, Sydney
Posts: 192
Well, they were released today. Who went and bought one? We want to know how they go!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 19-04-2012, 10:46 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

loki78 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverwood, Sydney
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
This is true, live-view increases thermal noise. So I use it to focus, frame and then turn it off for the rest of the night.
After about 1 minute of live-view you need 8 minutes off for the sensor to be back at the temperature it started.
I've read that the flip out liveview is far more desirable as it moves one of the largest causes of thermal noise in the camera (the LCD screen) away from backing directly onto the CMOS chip, as in the case with the fixed LCD screen DSLR's.

Whether or not this was concerted opinion or backed up with any actual tests or not I really don't know. Seems quite plausible. If that is the case I wonder what the difference in thermal noise from the LCD screen difference is between flip out and fixed position LCD screens.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 19-04-2012, 11:51 PM
MrB's Avatar
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

MrB is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rockingham WA
Posts: 3,408
Not a single aussie dealer I have contacted has got back to me with a price and eta for two bodies, obviously no one wants the money?
unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
Well, they were released today. Who went and bought one? We want to know how they go!

Last edited by h0ughy; 20-04-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: bypass profanity filter
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 19-04-2012, 11:59 PM
spacezebra's Avatar
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

spacezebra is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albury NSW
Posts: 3,091
Coming very soon, and local supplier!

Cheers Petra d.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 20-04-2012, 12:35 AM
pmrid's Avatar
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

pmrid is online now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bribie Is.
Posts: 3,115
Just looking at the specs, I see that the pixels are pretty small - something like 4.3 microns. That will suit some scopes of course but with others it will be a limitation.

I cancelled my order for one - for now - my recent experience with the 1000D was pretty negative so I figured it might be better to wait and see.
Peter
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 20-04-2012, 01:04 AM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

loki78 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverwood, Sydney
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Not a single aussie dealer I have contacted has got back to me with a price and eta for two bodies, obviously no one wants the money?
&@$:;ing unbelievable!
Digital Camera Warehouse in Sydney has had them on their site for a while and for sale as of today

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8839.htm
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 20-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Eris
Registered User

Eris is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mount Barker SA
Posts: 68
Last week I saw one advertised on Ted's website for $999.95 (body only). They must have had it mixed up with the D60. It was promptly jacked up to $1699.95 the day after.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 20-04-2012, 03:39 AM
luigi
Registered User

luigi is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
I've read that the flip out liveview is far more desirable as it moves one of the largest causes of thermal noise in the camera (the LCD screen) away from backing directly onto the CMOS chip, as in the case with the fixed LCD screen DSLR's.

Whether or not this was concerted opinion or backed up with any actual tests or not I really don't know. Seems quite plausible. If that is the case I wonder what the difference in thermal noise from the LCD screen difference is between flip out and fixed position LCD screens.
This is very interesting I didn't think about it. Thank you!
If the flip screen helps the neck, the back and the thermal noise then it's a great thing!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 20-04-2012, 09:51 AM
roddz's Avatar
roddz (Rodd)
Registered User

roddz is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Geelong Australia
Posts: 57
60Da has arrived!

Got mine yesterday!
Canon was very quick in delivering them.
Looks good but haven't had a chance to try it as its cloudy here.
Geelong club has a star party this weekend, but looks like being cloudy.
Murphys law?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 20-04-2012, 10:02 AM
iceman's Avatar
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

iceman is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Australia
Posts: 36,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
J
I cancelled my order for one - for now - my recent experience with the 1000D was pretty negative so I figured it might be better to wait and see.
Peter
The 60D and 1000D are worlds apart.

The 60D comes from the heritage of the 20D and 40D - good stock!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 20-04-2012, 12:42 PM
loki78 (Jon)
Look Up!

loki78 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverwood, Sydney
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddz View Post
Got mine yesterday!
Canon was very quick in delivering them.
Looks good but haven't had a chance to try it as its cloudy here.
Geelong club has a star party this weekend, but looks like being cloudy.
Murphys law?
Well it seems you're the only one of us with one so far so I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are hoping you get clear skies this weekend and a chance to test it out. Then to come running back to us and tell us all about it of course
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 20-04-2012, 02:03 PM
2stroke's Avatar
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

2stroke is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Just looking at the specs, I see that the pixels are pretty small - something like 4.3 microns. That will suit some scopes of course but with others it will be a limitation.

I cancelled my order for one - for now - my recent experience with the 1000D was pretty negative so I figured it might be better to wait and see.
Peter
How so? The 1000D is an entry level camera, the 60D is mid. Canon EOS's are No.1 when it comes to software and astrophotography. The 1000D is a bit on the noisy side without being cooled but i would still go one over a nikon 3100 for ap work for the software support alone.

Heres something real fun http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1100D/10 just select raws and see how things turn out lol, you can even scroll down to raw section and play.

Last edited by 2stroke; 20-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 20-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Adelastro1's Avatar
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Adelastro1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 401
I just received an email from John Sarkissian announcing that the major prize for the Overall Winner in this year's David Malin Awards is the new Canon 60Da DSLR! A great and fitting prize. Well done Canon!
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 21-04-2012, 09:15 AM
soundworthy's Avatar
soundworthy (Michael)
Digital Audio Sculptor

soundworthy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ballina
Posts: 30
Sensor size?

Forgive my noobness,
Does the larger sensor size of the 5DmkII offer more than the smaller 60Da sensor size?

In general I'm looking for pros and cons, a comparison of the 5d2 and the 60da, anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 21-04-2012, 11:14 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,213
There's a 5D2 on Astromart for $2000 thats been modified with Astrodon replacement filter. The sample images are fabulous.

There is no substitute for a large sensor but it does place demands on the scope. You need a focuser and scope that has a large enough corrected circle to illuminate the sensor without coma. Usually that also means using a flattener and 3 inch focusers or larger. Some report success with 2.7 inch focuser so it may depend on scope model.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 22-04-2012, 10:18 AM
soundworthy's Avatar
soundworthy (Michael)
Digital Audio Sculptor

soundworthy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ballina
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
There's a 5D2 on Astromart for $2000 thats been modified with Astrodon replacement filter. The sample images are fabulous.

There is no substitute for a large sensor but it does place demands on the scope. You need a focuser and scope that has a large enough corrected circle to illuminate the sensor without coma. Usually that also means using a flattener and 3 inch focusers or larger. Some report success with 2.7 inch focuser so it may depend on scope model.

Greg.
I'm going to get the P-FLAT68, but why a 3inch focuser?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 22-04-2012, 07:27 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,213
You'd really need to ask for owners of specific telescopes you are interested.

I am basing that comment on a Tak FS152 with a 2.7 inch focuser. I tried various flatteners etc and got very bad vignetting.

I ended up upgrading its focuser to 4 inch and it was all good.

Someone posted they had success with a TOA130 and 2.7 inch focuser so perhaps it was a better flattener than the one I used.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement