Old 17-04-2018, 08:58 PM
h0ughy (David)

Ngc5128

Well this is the third object i did, its only 1h 13min worth with the canon450D and the celestron RASA 11” can you imaging if i spent 5 hours on it?

Stacked in Deepskystacker, Totally processed in Pixinsight
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc5128iso4001h13rasa_clone_ABEweb.jpg)
196.2 KB201 views
Old 18-04-2018, 06:20 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Nice one, David.
Old 18-04-2018, 06:34 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Nice one, David.
If I get a chance at south Pacific Star Party I will give it 3hours at 90sec each grab. And much better processing
Old 18-04-2018, 12:11 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
If I get a chance at south Pacific Star Party I will give it 3hours at 90sec each grab. And much better processing
Oh, yeah baby! I would like to see that, if you get this thing humming, as you seem to be well on the way to doing, a long exposure of Cen A from a true dark sky might be quite memorable...might even challenge THIS ...naaah never!

Mike
Old 18-04-2018, 01:37 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Oh, yeah baby! I would like to see that, if you get this thing humming, as you seem to be well on the way to doing, a long exposure of Cen A from a true dark sky might be quite memorable...might even challenge THIS ...naaah never!

Mike
Always great to have a benchmark to achieve Mike. I never would have thought I could achieve anything like this and by stuffing around for an hour, of which I was inside watching TV I managed to grab this. So much to aim for to emulate my mentor (said in southern American accent)
Old 18-04-2018, 02:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Well this is the third object i did, its only 1h 13min worth with the canon450D and the celestron RASA 11” can you imaging if i spent 5 hours on it?

Stacked in Deepskystacker, Totally processed in Pixinsight
I reckon if you point this thing at the full moon you can heat up the house at night for winter.
Old 18-04-2018, 04:08 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Always great to have a benchmark to achieve Mike. I never would have thought I could achieve anything like this and by stuffing around for an hour, of which I was inside watching TV I managed to grab this. So much to aim for to emulate my mentor (said in southern American accent)
Lol - sounded like me with my enormous PN last night - set it to go, walked inside for an hour...rechecked focus...back inside for an hour....managed to finish the terribly bad new Lost in Space series (YAWN!!!!)
Old 22-04-2018, 09:05 PM
tornado33

Mind you get the focus spot on, under dark skies with good seeing, and do 120 hours on it and you never know.......
Old 23-04-2018, 05:48 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Mind you get the focus spot on, under dark skies with good seeing, and do 120 hours on it and you never know.......
120 hours, i dont think so
Old 23-04-2018, 06:20 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Quote:
120 hours, i dont think so
Just as I thought Scott -no stamina.
Old 23-04-2018, 06:50 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
Just as I thought Scott -no stamina.
So if 90sec is the same as 10min it is achievable
Old 23-04-2018, 07:20 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
So if 90sec is the same as 10min it is achievable
Be careful, numbers like that could find you in a Royal Commission.

But, seriously, 10 min here and there while waiting for the real target to rise, or the sky to get perfectly settled soon adds up.
Old 23-04-2018, 09:22 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Be careful, numbers like that could find you in a Royal Commission.

But, seriously, 10 min here and there while waiting for the real target to rise, or the sky to get perfectly settled soon adds up.
From the celestron white paper on the scope

16. Big! Fast! Wide! Sharp!

Celestron’s telescope testing observatory is located at their headquarters in Torrance, CA, a place not known for pristine dark skies. In fact, these semi-urban skies are typical of the skies many Celestron owners experience on a nightly basis. “If we did all of our testing under perfect skies,” says Celestron Product Manager of Astronomy, Bryan Cogdell, “we would not be serving our customers well. It’s important that we know and understand how our telescopes operate under the typical suburban and urban skies.”

“For those who are new to astronomical imaging, as well as those who have learned astroimaging the hard way, the RASA comes as a revelation,” said Cogdell. “The newcomers have heard stories about hours-long exposure times,” he said, “and the old-timers have experienced those all-night sessions imaging at f/8 and f/10. Those guys have done it all: polar alignment, lengthy exposures, autoguiding, and stacking! They have paid their dues.”

For them, the RASA comes as new experience. “With the ISO of their camera set to 6400, old-timers make a single 15-second exposure at f/2.2 and see a creditable image. They are totally amazed! If they drop the ISO to 1600 and expose for 60 seconds, they see an image that would have taken 20 minutes at f/10.” There’s no need to guide for just 60 seconds; quick polar alignment is good enough. “With minimal complexity,” notes Cogdell, “veterans can apply their hard-won skills, shoot a dozen five-minute exposures at ISO 400, stack them, and get rewarded with the finest images they’ve ever taken.”

As the party responsible for testing and evaluating the RASA from the first, Cogdell says he’s been consistently impressed. “With the RASA,” he says, “we have given observers the ability to do fast imaging, but we also need to make people aware that ‘real time astronomical imaging’ is now possible with a high-étendue telescope.” The coming generation of high-sensitivity CMOS sensors means you will capture and watch deep-sky objects on a computer screen, real-time, moving smoothly as you move the telescope. “It’s going to be great for group viewing and public star nights. You press ‘go-to M51’ and everyone sees the Whirlpool as it glides into view.”

Another new technology is image live stacking. Atik’s Infinity camera makes imaging far more intuitive. “The CCD is small, but you watch as the image grows stronger and the noise drops away. The focal length of the RASA gives you a field of view perfectly suited to viewing the Messier objects,” Cogdell explains. Software takes care of image alignment and stacking, even when the telescope is not perfectly polar aligned. “High étendue gives the RASA a big advantage. With other telescopes, you need focal reducers; with the RASA, you’re ready-set-go at f/2.2.”
Old 24-04-2018, 09:23 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Sorry David, didn't mean to offend. Meant to be friendly banter.

Great image for the time invested and I'm sure your instrument will produce many stunning images in the future.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:32 AM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:

Sorry David, didn't mean to offend. Meant to be friendly banter.

Great image for the time invested and I'm sure your instrument will produce many stunning images in the future.
No offence taken, just grabbed it to explain things a tad Better
Old 24-04-2018, 09:37 PM
tornado33

10 minutes at F2.2 even at ISO 200 would give just a white frame with my skies
Old 25-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

Yes - very nice for such a short exposure. Don't know much about this scope but it looks to have endless possibilities.

Cheers

Steve