Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Jaypat75 (Jason)

Going deeper into the hole

Hi All,

Haven't posted since I got the iOptron tracker. As suspected (and warned) I'm exploring that astronomy hole a bit deeper and I'm now looking at getting a scope that will allow me to adapt my Canon 7D to it. I'm currently eyeballing a Skywatcher 150/750 with what looks like an EQ3 mount. The owner already has motor drives and the Canon adapter so pretty much I'd be buying it set up for my purposes. Looking at around $500 second hand, although biggest issue will be getting it from Sydney to the Lismore (I've heard some horror stories with couriers). Initially I think this will satisfy my needs although I'm already sussing out a GoTo upgrade, but I'll be dreaming for a bit for that. Any feedback or advice on this scope leading into the possible purchase from some of the more experienced members?

Cheers

Jason
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 PM
raymo

An EQ3-2 would be borderline for AP with a 150mm Newt, an EQ5 much better.
Incidentally, what is the max. exposure the Ioptron can manage at a given focal length, say 100mm?
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 01-04-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: more text
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Jaypat75 (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
An EQ3-2 would be borderline for AP with a 150mm Newt, an EQ5 much better.
Incidentally, what is the max. exposure the Ioptron can manage at a given focal length, say 100mm?
raymo
I was thinking that Raymo...that's why I wanted to pick the brains of others. Better keep on saving those dollars
RE the Ioptron with very rough PA I've managed around 90 secs @ 50mm. To be honest I've really struggled with the big lens as I believe the weight is an issue and getting a precise PA, so my forays with it have been limited. Couple that with the screws on the plate holding the ball head to the tracker are just spinning at full tightening length so the plate is slipping. Probably going to have to do some replacement work with some allen key style bolts. Anyway the joys of getting into Astro I suppose....steep learning curve

Cheers Jason
Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I tend to agree with raymo, you’d probably be better off going with an EQ5 as a minimum if you’re planning on AP. Go-to can be helpful but my most used visual mount is a non-GoTo old HEQ5. It has the tracking motors and tracks really well when polar aligned.
Old 15-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Jaypat75 (Jason)

Quick update. Seriously considering this as my big foray into equipment for Astrophotography.

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/teles...ewtonian8.html

Just a beginning I know, but considering this will be probably a long term investment I'm hoping this will satisfy the bug. I know there is so much more to AP than buying a telescope and attaching a DSLR and hoping for an amazing image. This forum so far has been an absolute wealth of information and advice. I'm not looking to win any competitions, but maybe take some images that I'll be able to appreciate and share at some stage.

Cheers Jason
Old 15-04-2018, 02:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The price is right...is it right?
I use 8inch f5 on an eq6 and although only managed a few images with a dslr find it most satisfying.
Good luck go pick it up.
Alex