Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-11-2014, 10:30 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

New years resolution 2015

Ok, so I am a few weeks early...
But what will be your new years resolution for 2015?
As for me, I am in the process of quitting my job to spend more time with my boys (primary school aged) and try my hand at "consulting"
It will hopefully give me more time to finish off a couple of astro projects too
SWMBO gave me three month before , I am trying to negotiate an extension (need time to build up the client base)
Call it a mid life crisis, but I am curious about this life work balance thing
Bo
Old 13-11-2014, 10:38 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

good luck Bo, what field? 3 months seems a bit short, I guess you're already doing what you can in the background now.
work life balance sounds is underrated!

as for me, probably get my place ready to sell, been meaning to do it for a while but needs some fixing up.

cheers
Old 13-11-2014, 10:49 AM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Russell,
I am looking at management consultancy, having worked with govts in all three levels. My job for the last ten year was as a health policy advisor and analyst (I work in a professional association, not with govt or politicians, but seen and worked with advisors from Howard down, even managed to "shirtfront" the current PM when he was the health minister under Howard )
Yes, three months is far too short, I am bargaining for 6-10 months, but the wife thinks I will be unemployable after 4-6 months.
Wish me luck!
Bo
Old 13-11-2014, 11:08 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Tried that trick as a programmer analyst. Ended up spending 18 hours a day locked in the back room... Good money, no life and no back-up if I got sick.

About to try it again except we're thinking about dropping out of society as a whole and going more bush than we already are.

Your boys will love you for every second of extra time you can give them. though, and that's the BIG plus. Boys need there dads.

Here's an idea.....
Send swmbo out to work...
Old 13-11-2014, 11:17 AM
traveller (Bo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post

Here's an idea.....
Send swmbo out to work...
She does, but working in hospitality ain't exactly a salary winner. Tried to persuade her to change jobs as she'd get paid at least 30% more, but she loves her job...
Old 13-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Kunama

I found the whole concept of working to be quite tiresome so took early retirement (now busy all the time doing things I love).
I dare say you should think along a 6-12 month period for a full switchover to consulting.

I think the idea of spending more time with the family is a fantastic plan, you only get one opportunity to do that. Personally I never made work a priority over spending time with my son and daughter, when friends were busy building financial empires we were busy jet skiing, snow skiing, canoeing, camping, sailing and 4WD'ing.
Old 13-11-2014, 04:56 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

... more Scope time....

Old 13-11-2014, 05:17 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Matt, as someone told me once "never heard a man on his death bed wishing to have spent more time at work". The main issue is cash flow, without a pay cheque every couple of weeks, we just need to tighten our belts a bit. Will be eating into the savings a bit, but lots of people in far worse situation that we are.
Col, as every Melbournian will tell you scope time is highly cloud and weather dependent in the south!
Bo
Old 16-11-2014, 09:51 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

To buy more telescopes!
Old 16-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Ok, so I am a few weeks early...
But what will be your new years resolution for 2015?
As for me, I am in the process of quitting my job to spend more time with my boys (primary school aged) and try my hand at "consulting"
It will hopefully give me more time to finish off a couple of astro projects too
SWMBO gave me three month before , I am trying to negotiate an extension (need time to build up the client base)
Call it a mid life crisis, but I am curious about this life work balance thing
Bo
Hi Bo,

My news years resolution is easy for next year........I am going to stop buying telescopes. What! Yes, your heard right, no more telescopes for me, I think I already have enough with four. But, you will notice I didn't say anything about accessories

I only work part time (casual hours) and I wish I had done it years earlier. I now have a great work - life balance, with the emphasis on life

Good luck Bo, and I hope it all works out well for you.

Cheers Peter