Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-11-2013, 02:43 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Great buy. You'll love it. Did some bracket for a GSO focuser on my APO. I oriented it up to minimise balancing. The bracket is attached to the focuser not the dovetaill so it moves with the scope. I thought that would be the easiest most flexible way to do it.
thanks Marc
Old 27-11-2013, 03:39 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Probably not David .....but we're not all ' normal ' people are we.....
I've always held the view....if you really want it.....go for it....
By the way.....nice bit of gear you have there.....

Flash......
Old 27-11-2013, 04:28 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Show me a "normal person" who knows what a "computerised focus system) is.....
Old 27-11-2013, 05:08 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

To me it's just one more thing that can wrong on the night.
I've got no problems focusing by hand using either liveview or BYE, it's quicker and far less expensive.
But then again, I just like the imaging side of things, not the techie stuff.
Old 27-11-2013, 06:44 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
To me it's just one more thing that can wrong on the night.
I've got no problems focusing by hand using either liveview or BYE, it's quicker and far less expensive.
But then again, I just like the imaging side of things, not the techie stuff.
I used to think so too. I have fingers to focus. But then again after trying it, it's pretty damn cool. Focus is one of the most critical part of our hobby and it changes during an imaging session. This kit will take care of it all. Find the best focus and keep it. That's something worth doing.
Old 27-11-2013, 08:03 PM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hello Phil/Marc et al,

Thought I would throw in my two cents worth having been responsible for starting the debate.

Personally, I have found motorized remote focus to be the single most beneficial bit of kit I have fitted (not just saying that in order to promote SharpSky as a focuser). When I say beneficial I am primarily referring to the impact it had on my images. Unfortunately, poor focus is almost impossible to correct and usually results in all the data having to be discarded. This happened to me one or twice and at that point decided to embark on the SharpSky design to overcome the problem.

So far this season I have taken things one stage further and am now using SharpSky together with FocusMax and MaxIm to perform automatic focusing - in the past I have tended to using a focusing mask. This has been absolutely fantastic ! FocusMax is extremely straight forward to use and generally achieves focus in 10-15 seconds. Checking the focus with a mask I thus-far have been unable to improve on the results. The other big advantage is being able to re-focus without having to slew away from the target.

If we ever get another clear night up here topside I intend to shoot a short video demonstrating the use of SharpSky & FocusMax to perform automatic focusing and also V-curve generation. I will post up the video link here for anyone who might be interested.

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave
Old 24-10-2018, 11:59 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Troypiggo,
Just wondering if you can help me with a focus motor question given your previous experience?
Avalon tell me that their StarGo controller works well with MicroTouch motors despite the motor cable having 6 wires and the StarGo only 4 (see attached). Just wondering if you think I can do this in reverse ie I have an Avalon FOCS motor and would like to control it with a Starizona MicroTouch shuttle?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to fry any boards trying.
Thanks, Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
G'day. IIRC the FeatherTouch motors are 5V and the SharpSky (and MountHub Pro that I use) are 12V controllers. So I had to add some resistors inline between the 2 to get a voltage drop.

If anyone wants to email me I can help with the FT motor pinout. I figured it out but am reluctant to post publicly as it was also sent by Wayne from FT confidentially.
Old 26-10-2018, 08:40 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I have the feather touch micro focuser from starizona as well on the C11. I got the kit from David. approx. $450.00 shipped door to door couple of weeks ago. It's freaking unreal. I did some brackets for my newt as well. I posted pics of mounting here.

I'm using a Starizona focuser on my Esprit 100ED as of a couple of weeks ago. Great support from Starizona, fast delivery, and the focuser works very well.

Kevin